Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dollar General Snubs Ole Nib

Tuesday - June 15: It's happened to us before. Over the years we've been snubbed by some very beautiful women. This is the first time we've gotten snubbed by a short little twerp that showed nothing but contempt for public relations. We presume he's one of the owners or a corporate representative. He didn't give a name but a leery store manager referred to him when we asked for some info.

We're no stranger when it comes snubs or, since blogging, being told this is "off the record" or even we're not ready to release any information just yet. We were completely taken aback when a Dollar General representative said we have our own blog, are on Face Book & Twitter". He just set back customer service for centuries with his contempt. We politely thanked him for his non-cooperation. The Dollar General twerp replied "it is what it is". He wouldn't even give us the web address. With his business acumen he probably didn't know how to say "Dollar General.com".

As many of you know they are getting ready to open in the building that was the former Russell's Grocery on 2nd St. They've been refurbishing and remodeling for months getting ready. When we pulled in we got the impression that they were already open. Before the twerp silenced Store Manager Toni we had introduced ourselves and explained what we do with Looking Out Our Window. We told the runt that we would like to get a couple of pictures to promote a new business in the ville.

Well pal, it is what it is and it will be a long, long time before we darken you door again. In case you failed to notice Wellsville people are some of the friendliest people in the world. They'll go out of their way to help others. We won't recommend where they shop but we'll take our business downtown. At least they'll smile and say hello.

ole nib

11 comments:

shopper here said...

That's terrible Nib. It always bothers the crap out of me, when people in the retail business, or any business for that matter, fail to go out of their way to please and satisfy their customers. Or their future customers in this case. Maybe they'll realize that this kind of action is going to be the demise of their business..

Anonymous said...

It may be a good idea to email the corporate office about your unpleasant experience Nib.

the general said...

I can't wait until D.G. opens. I'll be standing in line with the rest of the lemmings just waiting, patiently waiting, for the doors to open. I want my dollar to be the one that gets framed to put up on the wall. Gee, I love consumerism.

Anonymous said...

something about this doesn't sound right. why would he get so hostile right up front? weird

Tbrown said...

Sorry about that Nib.. I too thought they were already open. That isn't very good business however you look at it. Any new business should welcome someone with open arms with information. I hope someday that they see the light. You are an great asset to the village and all that live here..

Lew Shepherd said...

Someone could use a lesson in Public Relations, sounds like this Jackass isn't even from Wellsville. You can bet if I was investing hundreds of thousands of dollars to open a business, I would be allot more welcoming to free publicity. I'm just curious if the "Twerp" was the owner, or an employee. If an employee, I wonder how the owner would feel about the attitude this ignoramus is showing potential customers. It sure doesn't make me want to shop there, when Family Dollar is right down the street, and the staff has always been very nice. While it's good to see new business come to town, do we really need another Dollar store?

Anonymous said...

I thought about stopping by the new Dollar General to see what they had....not now.
Your site is how I and so many others get the "scoop" on what is going on and what's new in the 'ville.
I think someone made a mistake.

John Oswalt said...

Way I see it ,it's just another store full of plastic junk from China. It will provide a few jobs and some tax revenue and that's a good thing, but what we really need is a hardware or an auto parts store. I guess those days are gone forever.

On another subject , anyone been contacted by a door to door sales person for an alarm / home security company.

I interuppted some guy trying to sell my mom a home security system complete with the emergency medical button you wear around your neck.

When I told him we might be interested could he please give me a buisness card, a brochure and finally at least a phone number to call his answer was NO to all, and he was gone.

They might be legit , but my thinking is not.

Diane Dinch said...

Hey John,

What was the name of the alarm company? A man stopped by our house Wednesday and was trying to sell one to us too!

John Oswalt said...

Diane, it's APX , not to be confused with Apex. If you go to their web site ,it says they are liscened to do buisness in the state of Ohio, but that doesn't mean they are a good company.

If you go to Rip Off reports , and other consumer affairs web sites , there is no shortage of horror stories.

I know the name now , because they signed up an elderly couple in my neighberhood. I see the sign in their front yard. I hope I'm wrong about the company.

Based on some of the things I've read I feel like I should tell them to cancel the contract immediately, but then again if I'm wrong , I don't want to stick my nose in someone eleses buisness and deprive them of a service they might need.

I have company coming in this morning from out of state, my Aunt of 93 years for one, so it kind of limits what I can do, so I hope you might be able to take the lead on this and see what you can dig up.

I really hate to see anyone get a raw deal but can't be rude and ignore my company either.

There is an 800 number on the sign, but I can't read it from here I'll get that for you later if you want it. It's probably the same as on their website though.

Thanks

hootch2 said...

GRAND OPENING-GRAND CLOSING!