Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Notes From Last Week

Normally I'll cover just about anything in town if I know about it and can get there. However, there are times I'll hold off if I feel I haven't been told the whole story or I'm not convinced that I've been dealt with complete honesty. Such is the case with the CC Tea Party that held another protest last week at Village Hall. Dropping off demands at Charlie Wilson's District Office this protest was allegedly about health care.

I was going to devote an article to them but reading that their group is already splintering apart and the actions of their Pennsylvania cohorts at Sen. Arlen Spector's Town Hall meeting in Kittanning last week I've decided my jury is still out on this group. Another decisive factor is that some members protesting last week hid behind their hand made poster signs every time I lifted my camera. The ones that were hiding did it four or five times even after being asked them to show their faces. It's my opinion that if you're being truthful to yourself and feel your public display of your convictions is the right thing to do you should have the guts to be seen.

Registrations are open for the October 3rd "Dash for Mat's Bash". You have to be registered by September 15 to be guaranteed a tee shirt for this event. It's a fund raiser for the Mathugh Johnston Scholarship Fund. Cost is $10 per head and $3 for the Kid's dash. It's a mini-marathon, or walk-a-thon if you're not a runner. Contact Tim or Annie Long for more details. Contact numbers are 330-532-3336 or 412-735-0418.

The CC Budget Commission published a list of this year's distribution of Local Government Funds in last weeks papers. Out of $3 million distributed in the county the Village got $72,091.04 and the Wellsville Library got $325, 709.84.

Lawyers for Eric Dillard have filed an appeal of his conviction of murder & weapons charges with the 7th District Court of Appeals. An earlier appeal in Common Pleas Court was denied.

J.C. Amato's murder & weapons trial has once again been delayed pending results from an independent expert examination of the bullet believed to contain DNA of the murdered wife of Amato. According to the newspapers Common Pleas Judge Pike granted delays for this trial and the second trial for additional weapon's charges pending the test results.

Even though school hasn't started the WHS Golf Team already has three matches played and now stand at 1 - 2 for the season. No results were in this morning's papers for yesterday's match against Southern. The Tigers will be back in action today against Jackson-Milton at home. Home matches are played at Cedar Hills out in Glenmore. Good luck Tigers!

So far we have two candidates declared for this fall's election for the Wellsville School Board. Retired educator Bill Miller of Broadway has filed for a seat and long time Board member & this year's President, Tom Brophey put his papers in Monday. Deadline for filing is tomorrow at 1600 hours.

County Commissioners have decided to put the sales tax on this fall's ballot as a five year renewal according to the papers. They were debating whether to do this or change it to a permanent tax.

Two weeks from today former congressman Jim Traficant is going to be released from prison. The previously planned "Traficant Release Night" at the Mahoning Valley Scrappers game has been cancelled according to news sources. The baseball organization will host a Valley Pride Night instead.

With funding cuts from the State Wellsville Library Director Tracee Murphy is putting out feelers for people interested in becoming a member of a Friends of the Library group according to Jo Ann Bobby-Gilbert. The primary focus of the group will be fund raising to enable the library to maintain the current level of services. Anybody interested in helping with this worthwhile cause should contact Murphy at the library.

Being familiar with both the Mega Millions & the Powerball lotteries for years now I find it amazing that gamblers all over Europe have been going ga-ga over the Italian National Lottery. The next drawing for that is expected to amount to over a record $200 million jack pot for anywhere on that continent. Amounts like that are old news to us familiar with the Mega & Powerball. Jackpot for tonight's Powerball is expected to be $250 million & Friday's drawing for Mega is suppose to be $207 million. You'll all be invited to the party when I win either to supplement my retirement income!

The Potter Players Community Theater will once again be performing dinner theater this coming week-end and next at DaLonzos on Main St. For $15 you get to see the play "Shop Til You Drop-Dead" performed by a very talented group of actors and also enjoy an award winning DaLonzo penne pasta dinner with all the trimmings. It all starts at 6:30 this coming Friday & Saturday evening. Call 330-532-5540 for reservations.

This coming Sunday and again on August 30 will be your last two chances to tour the Wellsville Historical Society's River Museum for this year's season. The Museum is open from 1 - 4:30 P.M. on each of those days. Admission is free and open to the public. After that special tours of 10 or more are available by calling either 330-532-1018 or 330-532-3941.

Here's another WHS alumni web site I just recently learned about. It just got started at the end of July and is still in the building process. With the All Class 5 Year Reunion coming next year you may want to add it to your list of favorites. You can find it www.wellsvillealumni.org.

Are you getting ready for the 6th Annual Village Yard Sale? For just $3 you can set up at Village Hall. It's open to anyone and everyone. All donations go to the volunteer Fix-up/Clean-up Committee to be used for supplies and equipment. The sale is from 9 A.M. - 4, Saturday, September 5. It's an excellent opportunity to turn you "junk" into cash to become some buyer's treasure. You can call 330-532-4331 or 330-853-2010 for more details.

Next Monday evening, August 24, at 7 o'clock is "Meet The Tigers Night" at the football field. It includes players from WHS's football, volley ball & golf teams and the cheer leaders. The announcement in the paper didn't say anything about the band but I 'spect they'll be there too. It's a good time to wish those participating students good luck and to show your support.

In closing I would like to say I try to make it a point not to "scoop" the newspapers on any story I write. I did go ahead and do it with the water line break story & the 10th St. Ext. closing up-dates because I felt word needed to get out as soon as possible about things like that. The only other time I go first is when a subject is about to become "ancient" history after waiting a few days to see it in the paper or if I don't see news coverage at an event I'm attending. The rest of my articles mostly deal with historical stuff from around the village.

Just like I use to do, the "newshounds" are just trying to make a living. I never had a newspaper job beyond being a paper boy but since I retired I love what I'm doing. However I don't want to be in competition with the professionals. I could come home after a council meeting and have my report on-line hours before the print media but that is not my goal. I've always been taught to be fair with whatever you do and with whoever you meet. I have no bosses to report to and my blogging does not put one extra red cent in my pockets. What I'm doing is for the fun of it and I try to be considerate of others.

ole nib

7 comments:

Jay Emo said...

That's a lot of this n' that !

On the subject of the group protesting health care reform, I'm going to be honest; there is a lot I don't understand about the plan.
But most perplexing to me is why there seems to be some sort of organized effort at almost every town hall meeting in the US , and that efffort seems to be to cause as much disruption and mayhem as possible, making it nearly impossible for people to even get there questions answered. Makes no sense.

The River Museum. Are they still open for Christmas? They always did a beautiful job of decorating. I still have some pictures somewhere of the various rooms and the Christmas tree's in each room , decorated with a different theme. That's been a long time ago though.

************* said...

Doing the course of the week I make notes and clip stuff out of the papers on "this 'n that". Then once a week I sit down and do my "Notes" column. Maybe I should do more editing.

I don't think anyone clearly understands the health care proposals & that includes the Tea Party. I'm going to do something later on about Specter's meeting that was told to me by someone who was there.

Not sure about Christmas at the museum. I'll have to check on that and let you know.

nib

Jay Emo said...

No, you don't need to do more editing. I found it all interesting, just didn't have time to comment on everything. There is never enough time. And I also checked out the new Wellsville Alumni site , and everybody knows how it goes when you start looking at any website, you see a link and follow it, and then another , and another, and pretty soon an hour or more is gone and your "computer time" is up.
In short , I like your roundup of events. Don't change a thing !

Anonymous said...

The tea party folks and those disrupting the town hall meetings don't want questions answered or things clarified.For some reason, we now have working class and even poor people out there creating chaos on behalf of the rich, fat, white men who want to retain their million dollar bonuses. So why would they need answers? They only need to stir things up so everyone is more confused. Although all the details of the health care plan have not been explained, they've already made up their minds. After all, they have the intellectual giant Sarah Palin telling them all the facts. What I don't understand is why people are so opposed to a government run option. Do they not understand what the word "option" means? Do they not know that it will force insurance companies to compete - which may result in lower premiums or better coverage? Or maybe it's the concept of " you can't be turned down for a pre-existing condition" that has them so upset. Scary proposals, indeed!!
One of the things the protesters like to say is that they don't want the government making decisions about their healthcare. Well, I really don't want that either. But have these folks ever stopped to consider that under the current system, they are allowing the multi-billion dollar insurance companies (whose executives make an annual salary larger than most of us will see in a lifetime)to make those decisions for them? Because that is exactly what is going on now. And trust me - those folks aren't making decisions based on what's best for you and your family. They are based on what's best for their bottom line.
Wise up folks - just listen to the real facts and stop getting your information from Sarah Palin's facebook page.

Anonymous said...

I think that the death of the Tea Party will be because of the involvement of the Republican party.
That might be exactly what the GOP wants to do.

I know that many of the values of the GOP are aligned with the Tea Party, but the GOP has it's own hidden agenda. Many Tea Party members voted for our president, but do not agree with the spending that his administration has proposed. The idea of whacking $500 million from Medicare to pay for health care is not what people wanted. That is why so many people are outraged at his plan.
I agree that some control needs to be put on the cost of health care, but taking money from older people and the handicapped is just not right.

************* said...

Jay Emo - Thanks for the compliments. I know exactly what you mean about getting distracted once you fire up the 'puter.

Anon - I'll admit I haven't done much studying on the health care issue and I rarely watch the boob tube anymore. Your mention of taking away from Medicare is a first for me. I figure this battle about health care reform is just beginning. It's far from being settled or having anything definite yet. I do believe something has to be done but it'll be a while yet. Nothing is set in stone.

A spokesman, EL Councilman Applegate, told me the Tea Party is not affiliated with any political party. Right now they are lining up with Republicans because they figure that's their best chance to get the Dems out of office when elections roll around. Right now they are just using the Republicans.

nib

Anonymous said...

I think that you are so right about the so called Tea Party being
racist.
They are just hate anything a black president would embrace.
Most of them call themselves Christians.