Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mystery Solved




A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the Shoe Tree that mysteriously appeared on Commerce Street across from the old Sterling China offices. Nobody was fessing up. There were some scary speculations made. Doing a little research I found out that Shoe Trees are not all that uncommon around the globe. It was something new to the ville.

Well, last Wednesday evening I got a call inviting me to the official "kick-off" of the ville's Shoe Tree to be held Thursday afternoon. The Shoe Tree is the brain child of the "Sisters Carmichael", as their mother Pauline sometimes refers to them. Other than these two ladies it has no connection to any other organization in the village.

At the "kick-off" there were county officials, a judge from up the river, village officials, the press, members of various organizations in town and others. Most came with a pair of shoes ready to go. The tree is being called a community art project. You have to think abstract art. There is no special meaning. The "Sisters" came up with the idea that it would be a nice community project that everyone in the ville and area can join in. The Mayor said he was donating the shoes he wore in the Old Gray Mayor's Basketball Game hoping for a better outcome in next year's rematch. Some were tossing shoes in memory of a loved one. Whatever... The meaning is entirely up to the person leaving the shoes.

Shoes can be tossed over a branch or nailed to the tree or whichever way you can think of. Everyone and anyone is invited to stop at anytime to participate. It's a 24/7 open invitation to partake in this community project. Feel free to add to the collection.

Pictured above is the "Sisters Carmichael": Connie Carmichael on the left and Candy Carmichael Bangor to the right. Below them is a couple of young ladies with their shoes ready. They are Amanda Rearley, in the pink top, with her friend Antonia Lombardozzi on her right.

Can you imagine what that shoe tree will look like in the fall when the leaves are gone?

Unique...


ole nib






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pleasant, surprising turn of events for Shoe Tree!!! I'm so glad that the ville is making it their own "positive" project. Heck, I have half a mind that when I come and visit from Arizona to maybe put a pair of mocasins in the tree.

Nib, you have always taken great pix of the ville, I surely hope you put some autumn pix of Shoe Tree!! Now that would be some abstract art!

Anonymous said...

I am closely related to "the Sisters Carmichael" and my husband and I plan to put some shoes on the tree when we visit from Columbus, Ohio. What a great idea!

native said...

I am going to throw a pair of shoes in memory of my aunt. This is a really nice idea and something positive for the village.

fun said...

what will the Sisters come up with next. Hope others in town, start doing the same. I have on my own thinking caps. Thanks gals.