Friday, February 22, 2008

Pennsylvania Railroad Station - Wellsville


I recently got reminded that I've been sitting on this picture of a very old post card sent to me last year. It was one of several that our good friend "john doe smith" sent. I was saving this for a story that's been in the back of my mind for some time now but I still have to do some research for that.


In her recent ramblings at the EL city council meeting this past week their auditor mentioned a train depot up there that I don't remember. That jogged my memory of this one. I don't remember this one either but with this picture I can visualize it.


Wellsville's depot was located at 3rd & Riverside. When I was a young 'un that location was the same as you see it today with the O'Hara Realty & Nationwide Insurance offices. I think that house was the home of the owner of the hotel that was next door.


Obviously this picture was taken back when Wellsville was still a transportation center for moving goods in-land from this river village. It was certainly before the coming of the motorized vehicles. Although it is not dated I'm guessing early 1900s. Whattaya think?


My how times have changed...


ole nib


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the train station but it seems like their auditor and her "recent ramblings", pissed some people off. She only said what was true and I applaud her for having the guts to say it. People like Matt Stewart, who has taken the time to point by point argue about each building that was mentioned, just don't get it and never will. They have no vision or creativity and can only whine about the cost of restoration and how something can't be done when other towns do it all the time. East Liverpool could have been a great little tourist town but they have always lacked any kind of ability to think out of the box and I guess that will continue. It is an East Liverpool tradition.

Anonymous said...

In the book, "Hills and Kilns," the author writes that ELO's founder, Thomas Fawcett, was less than interested in helping the town progress, at least that was my interpretation of what he wrote.
So maybe that's just the town's heritage.
As for the auditor, it's easy to bitch when you have not been part of the solution the past 40 years then come back to town.

Anonymous said...

It is also hard to hear the truth. No matter who says it, people get mad and offended but it doesn't get them up off their ass doing anything. I find it amazing that people get so mad about something that is true. It doesn't matter how long she has lived here, it is still the truth and it doesn't matter where she said it or how long it took her to say it. Other towns have done more with less than East Liverpool has to offer. They are nice, clean places and they enforce their codes and ordinances. This isn't rocket science, just a little progressive thinking and people who will WORK for the betterment of a town and before you can fix it you have to name it.

Anonymous said...

Matt Stewart's piece is laughable. Saying no one would plan a vacation to go eat at the Elite Diner. Well, I guess that is true. No one would plan a vacation for any reason to East Liverpool unless it is to visit family. And then, they would have to go somewhere else to be entertained. Unless they are researching parking lots, there isnt any reason to plan a trip there. Oh, by the way Matt, I recognize the picture. Nice work. Do you have permission to use it?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Harder to do something

The truth does hurt. But sometimes because you have been somewhere else, and seen progress, you realize that change is possible and needed. I understand people become used to what they have, and are offended when it is critisized, but these people tend to be very closed minded to any change. I am happy to say, in Wellsville, we are making changes, and there are people who are working very hard to do some good things. I think is has become contagious here. It started with the flood wall, and now lots of projects are going on and being talked about. The timing was lucky because of BAARD. But the point is, some people started something, it got lots of support and is growing. That is a great thing for Wellsville and we should be proud of it. To take Matt's position, I guess you keep getting more of the same.

Anonymous said...

Terry Sprague was at the Chamber of Commerce dinner last night in Wellsville. She was introduced and nobody booed or lynched her. Imagine that.