Sunday, February 24, 2008

303 Wells Avenue


When I wrote about Wellsville's council meeting last week I was wondering where this property was located. I found it. It's on the river side of the street. Most of the east-west streets in the village have even numbered addresses on the river side of the streets and the odd numbered ones on the hill side. Not true on Wells. I never realized that. Was it always that way? Back before they made Route 7 a four lane there use to be houses on the hill side.


This is the property that was given to the village. It was announced that they intend to tear it down and make a small play ground or something that can be enjoyed by the public.


Learn something new everyday...


old nib


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up on Wells Avenue and the addresses have always been odd numbered on the river side of the street. I lived there before and after the construction of Route 7 and the address never changed. It's a shame that this ole' house is being torn down. I remember playing both inside and outside this home. Over the years, the floods have wreaked havoc on the properties of Wells Avenue. I believe FEMA bought the house because they won't have to continue putting money out for it when it floods and causes damage. It is sad to see it go.

************* said...

I would imagine most of those houses in that neighborhood have a lot of structural damage to the foundations after years of flooding. Because of their location the floodwall was never a benefit in that area. Every time it floods they at least get a basement full of water. It's sad. Many of them are historical houses. If only the walls could talk...

ole nib