Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Longest Month



February has the fewest calendar days of any month of the year but to me it is the longest month on the calendar. By this time in February I have had my fill of winter and long for the coming warmth that spring brings us. I eagerly anticipate the budding of the spring flowers and the colors of new growth Mother Nature presents us with. If we only could get through February.


Take today for example. We had beautiful sunshine but it was still as cold as a well digger's patootie as is evident with these pictures I took this morning. The snow is still very much dominating the hillsides, roof tops and sidewalks that weren't shoveled after this past week's weather. In fact it was 27 degrees F when these pictures were taken.


It did warm up a little bit more during the course of the day and some of that snow & ice started melting. Tomorrow's forecast is for more warmer temperatures which will melt away even more of the frozen stuff.


I can't really complain. Our winter has been on again and off again this year. We got a taste of spring a little while back with near record high temperatures. That all helps a bit but me and my achy joints still long for spring to hurry up.


If it wasn't for that pesky ground hog...


ole nib


7 comments:

Password said...

Tick Smith sure did a nice job on that building in the top picture. I remember Pat Scarabino living there. The Lamar sisters lived in the center and Traina's lived on the left back then. Not sure if there was another family in-between. The bottom picture used to be Stout's garage, Lon Excell's, and the old Bolero Cafe, all with apartments above. Can anyone remember what kind of store Lon Excell had? I want to say it was a hardware store, but can't remember for sure.

dot said...

hello Wellsville from Calif. Enjoyed the pics--the one of the murials on the old O'Hara building was great. calif 60 degrees

************* said...

I remember an Excells further up the street that use to be a newspaper & magazine shop back in the 50s. It was in the building that use to be a beauty shop and I think is now a Cash Advance place now.

I remember those murals were painted for an All-Class reunion. I think that was for '90 or '95. I'm not sure on the year. A lot of the colors are fading badly on them now but they are still unique.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

The murals are painted on wood and could be saved. The building is a disaster inside and needs torn down or lots of cash invested to restore it. Don't know who owns it but they let it get so bad it probably would be cheaper to tear it down. I think it is for sale, but the owner should just pay someone to take it off their hands.

Anonymous said...

If I remember right, the murals were donated or paid for by the Amato family in the late 1980s.
If they can be refinished, that would be another good job for the girl painting the murals on the floodwall. She is certainly talented.
Of course, someone would need to pay for it and it probably wouldn't be cheap.

Anonymous said...

Someone should take those murals out of the windows so the sun won't damage them more than they already are. I swear, if they moved the Taj Mahal to Wellsville it would become a piece of junk, abandoned building in a few years.

Anonymous said...

I think the O'Hara's own that building. It is an eye sore and they should be ashamed to even try to sell it to anyone. Also, they should have more pride than to leave it standing. They should pay out of their pockets to tear it down. They have made money over the years in Wellsville. How about doing something for the town and tear the eyesore down.