Thursday, February 21, 2008

Last Tuesday's Council Meeting

Council met this past Tuesday for their regular scheduled meeting and according to accounts in both the local papers it was business as usual. Neither of the reporters noted any flaming arrows being shot at the past meeting.

Councilwoman Rosie Goss was there and she addressed recent comments about her attendance record. I was kind of surprised at the many comments both pro and con on this matter in my last "Looking" post. I wrote they didn't have a quorum and consequently couldn't get much accomplished at that session. I didn't think it was a big deal. It happens and things have to wait until the next time. It can be frustrating for the other members but it's nothing to get your dander up about.

In a written statement Ms. Goss explained that she missed the February 5th meeting due to an illness in the family. She also noted that she works the late shift for 12 hours at time at her place of employment and stated that family and her job comes first. For that I have to praise her. That's how I feel. You have to have your priorities and although some out there might not agree attending a meeting is not all that big of deal. Most council members put in a lot of time taking care of village business that's done on their own. Not everything is accomplished at the meetings. It's time spent that most of us don't realize. It's time that for the most part is not reported in the local papers. Taking care of a family, working a job and working for your constituents is a tough balancing act. I don't personally know Ms. Goss but from I've been reading she is doing her best. In all honesty I don't think you can fault her for that.

In other business Village Administrator Jim Saracco brought up pot holes. There are some pretty nasty ones on Wellsville village streets. However with the weather we been having lately you might just as well fill them up with snow & ice. It would be just as effective when you have spring time temperatures one day and then go back to winter weather the next. Nothing is going to hold up until it gets warm and stays warm. From what I've seen the street crews are doing a heck of a job so far this winter.

Council is working on getting an amusement tax on pool tables and pinball machines. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there already an ordinance of the books for this? It's in my mind that there was. Maybe it got thrown out when we went from city to village status.

John McMahon was reported as saying they hope to have a handicapped accessible ramp for village hall in place in time for the upcoming primaries weather permitting. I know the area around the back door is mostly uphill but that entrance immediately around the door is at ground level. That could be used as an alternative.

Are sewage rates going up or was this already covered with automatic increases? Seem to recall something of that nature being reported on last year. Council approved a cost-of-living raise to Earth Tech. That was the first question that popped in mind when I read that.

Finally, where the devil is 303 Wells Ave? I meant to check on that when I was out and about yesterday. Of course I forgot and now I'm trying to visualize the location. I'm thinking that would be on the hillside of the street and there isn't any houses on that side above the floodwall. At any rate the property was given to the village and it was noted the house will be torn down. The land will then be used as a play ground or small park since it's in the flood plain.

Our condolences go out to Mayor Joe Surace, his family and all of the Surace-Baker family for the loss of Joe's mother Sadie. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Next meeting is March 5th according to Erin Colella of the MJ. Is that correct? The fifth is on a Wednesday.

ole nib

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you really believe most of Wellsville's council members work on their own time? Just what do they do?
In my experience, most elected officials pretty much show up for meetings and that's ALL they do.
There are exceptions but that's the norm.

Anonymous said...

March 4th is the primary. Council changed the date because of Village Hall being a precinct.

************* said...

Yes I do believe that council members work on their own time. The good ones do. They have to or they would not be prepared for the meetings. Sure there are exceptions but for the most part I think our council members do quite a bit for the measly stipend they are paid. Facts & figures they use at the meetings are a result of their work beforehand.

The primary is sneaking up pretty fast on me. I wasn't even thinking about that when I asked that question. Duh...

ole nib

Anonymous said...

One thing about this council that really bothers me, is that whenever there is something going on in town, that actually shows progress, and there is a ceremony or something of that sor, you sure won't see one council member there. They should be at these events to show support to the people who are doing good things for the Village. I do have to say, Randy Allmon is at everything.

Anonymous said...

Randy Allmon has all the time in the world to do whatever he wants. He would tell you that he is "retired". It would be nice not to work every day.... or any day...... wouldn't it Randy?

Anonymous said...

Allmon is a bigger joke than Dinch was.

Anonymous said...

Tie me up and we will fool them. Ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I love Rosie Goss's comment about work and family comes first. Well, I thought the taxpayers were paying her to do a job. If I were council, I would not have apologized to her. Most likely she will be voted off, if she has the gall to run again. She is dead weight and that's all. What Randy does is really no ones business as long as he performs the job he is being paid to do. At least he shows up. And I know he has been helping on the upcoming dinner this Thursday with BAARD Vice President. Let's see how many councilmen show up for that. I bet no one but Randy.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Tina.

Anonymous said...

Good one, Hi Tina, only you could post this crap about your man. We know all about your man, believe me. You need a metal.

Anonymous said...

No, I am not Tina. You are so stupid. You don't have to be married to Randy to have an opinion about Rosie Goss or Randy Allmon. I guess you are from West Virginia. You cannot dispute, however, what I said. The councilmen do not support what these volunteers in the Village do, and do not show up at anything that goes on. But I do go to these events, and Randy is always there. That is all I am saying. It is nice to see elected officials attend and be involved in the community events.