Sunday, September 16, 2007

"You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Us Lucille"

Today's The Review had a farewell column from Reporter Lucille Huston. As we all know Mrs. Huston has been the Wellsville beat writer for the newspaper the last few years and in my opinion has done an admirable job. She reported this is the third time she is leaving The Review. I remember one other time but can't recall the other. She told us she first started her reporting career 39 years ago in 1968. Having never attended college I would say that was a pretty remarkable career. This day and age they won't even look at your resume unless you have some sort of degree. Well, Lucille, after 39 years in the newspaper business you can at least claim an honors degree from the "College of Hardknocks". You've earned it.

I have often questioned the unanswered questions when reading some of Mrs. Huston's articles either here or just to myself. From reading her column today I think I understand where those unanswered questions came from. Her biggest regret in leaving is a list of things that have yet to be resolved in her coverage area. She lists out a few and I imagine there are more that she didn't mention. I guess what she is trying to tell us is that the competence of your work is only as good as what you have to work with. People tell a reporter only what they want you to hear, especially if those people are politicians. In spite of the Sunshine law there is still a lot done behind closed doors away from the eyes and ears of a reporter.

So Lucille, I apologize for any uneasiness I may have caused you through this blog. Kick you feet up and enjoy your retirement. From what you told us of your plans it doesn't sound like you're going to have much time to sit back and relax. Enjoy your family and may the good Lord keep you in good health. At least you didn't leave four hungry children in the field.

Vaya con dios my friend.

ole nib

No comments: