Wednesday, September 12, 2007

9/11 Remembered

Yesterday was the sixth anniversary of the first ever aggressive act committed by foreigners on American soil. It was the anniversary of what has become known as 9/11. When I say American soil I mean the "lower 48". Pearl Harbor is now in the USA but back in 1941 it wasn't yet a part of a state.

9/11 was the day Wellsville's own Cathy Salter perished in the collapse of the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Yesterday was the anniversary of an untold number of tragic stories for people the world over. Along with Cathy there was some 3000 that perished just in New York City alone. Then there was the poor souls that lost their lives in Jennerstown and the Pentagon. It was a horrific day.

Now I hear that some school systems aren't teaching their students anything about 9/11 or if they are they aren't going into the why it occurred. In my opinion that is a huge mistake. Sadly 9/11 happened. Was it Ben Franklin that said something to the effect that those who don't study history are condemned to repeat it? When I was a kid in school I learned all about WWII and American wars before that. It didn't damage my psych to learn about them. As an American it is part of my history. Sensitivities be damned. Children need to learn about 9/11 just as much as any other subject. Children are more adaptable than many adults. They are more likely to be able to adjust to tragic stories and learn from them. Bin Laden has made no bones about continuing his reign of terror. Those students of today are our leaders of tomorrow. They need to learn the history of 9/11 and remember it. Maybe then we won't be condemned to repeat it.

Speaking of remembering...what were you doing when you learned of 9/11? Me? I was home cursing out AT&T because I couldn't get online. After rebooting numerous times I finally turned on the boob tube and spent the rest of the day glued to it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first. It was unreal. Then it slowly sank in. What I was watching wasn't some Hollywood script. Before I went to bed that night I was feeling violated like never before. You can bet I was ready to "take up arms". I wanted to kick some serious butt. But that is just my personal experience. How about you? Care to share your feelings of that tragic day - September 11,2001?

ole nib

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that American children should learn about American tragedies! They need to know how wonderfully Americans responded in a time of national crisis. People rallied around each other. I remember going to the local blood bank the next day and waiting over 5 hours to give blood. Pizza and donuts were delivered by local businesses. The local radio station came out to play music for us as we waited! Lives intertwined and stories were shared. Americans stood tall and showed the world that we could not be broken! Churches were overflowing as people yearned to find somethign to hang on to. Flags were flown at half mast. The term "Let's roll" took on a new meaning that day.
Let's not forget that the people of America united. Teach the children that it was a day to be proud of their country.

Anonymous said...

I happened to be watching "the Today Show" and talking to my daughter-in-law on the phone when Katie Couric broke in and said something about a plane hitting the Twin Towers.
I thought, "Oh my God, what a horrendous accident."
Moments later she said a second plane hit the towers, and I knew immediately this was no accident.
I told my daughter-in-law what was being said on TV and immediately got off and called my editor to ask, "How are we going to cover this? Where do you want me?"
It will live in my memory the same as the day, in fourth grade, when my teacher came in and told us about the assassination of JFK.