Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Debate? I Like That Idea

My friend Matt Stewart at ORL has suggested more than once that a debate between mayoral candidates Dave Lloyd and Joe Surace be held. I like the idea and think it would be an added attraction to both of their campaigns. If it ever came about it certainly would be informative and could even be a fund raiser for someone like the Democratic Party organization or any other organization that would care to sponsor such an event. Some neutral club like the Alumni Association could be a possible sponsor. Whoever could charge a minimal admission fee to cover the costs.

It could possibly be held at the WHS auditorium where there is a stage and sufficient seating. For narrators I would suggest Matt Stewart himself, Jo Ann Bobby Gilbert and recently retired reporter Lucille Huston. All three of these folks use to be Wellsville beat reporters for our local papers and they are very familiar with our fair village. Ms. Gilbert now covers East Liverpool for the MJ but I have a feeling she is staying in tune with the happenings down this way. I think all three of these folks are responsible people and could compile an interesting list of questions for the candidates.

Each candidate could be allowed something like a three minute introduction, one minute response limit to each question and another three minute summary to end the debate. That way it would not only be informative but it would be fast moving too.

Personally speaking there are some aspects I like about each of the candidates and there are also some things I don't particularly like about each of them. Right now I'm undecided but I think a public debate could very well help me make up my mind. It's a new idea for a Wellsville mayor candidate but it's not an idea that is new to politics. All we need is for one of the civic minded Wellsville organizations to step up to get the ball rolling.

ole nib

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a job for the chamber of Commerce.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nib--
I'll go for JoAnn Bobby and Lucille, but I think I should stand clear of the debate since I have publicly supported one of the candidates. Current representatives from the newspapers would be good questioners.

The Chamber of Commerce would be a good group to organize a debate.

Anonymous said...

Matt, Lucille is just as much a Surace supporter as you are a Lloyd supporter. The two would equal out and JoAnne is as straight as they come. Sounds like a good combination of questioners to me. I would love to see some serious hard questions asked of both candidates. The Chamber would be perfect to host such a program. Who would we talk to to suggest such a "debate"? Time is running out.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Ottis, why not you. All the members are in the tele book. By the way, you are absolutely correct about the panel! In addition with JoAnn on there the story, as told, would be reported.

Anonymous said...

Matt S. would be a terrible choice. We need someone who is unbiased and has not bashed the current mayor at every opportunity. I'm not saying he shouldn't but since he has and does he would not be credible and why would we have someone from E.L.? We have people in this village who are perfectly capable of questioning the candidates. This is not something for volunteer groups to organize this is something the Chamber of Commerce should be jumping on. They can get some PR for themselves and promote the village by sponsoring a debate that has aroused some local interest.

Anonymous said...

I seen Dave Loyd and his cronies in front of City Hall. Looks like a linching, maybe it's time the fire dept runs the town. Let us all rejoice.

Mom of Future Voter said...

I wanted to get the word out that a Meet the Candidate night has been scheduled for October 24th at 7:00 pm at the Wellsville Alumni Center. This event is being hosted by The Future Voters of Wellsville. This group was started by my daughter. The invitations were mailed to the candidates today and the Morning Journal and Review were notified of the event.

I hope that everyone who lives in Wellsville will make an effort to attend. I feel that it will give the residents of Wellsville an opportunity to meet mayorial candidates and Wellsville council candidates. Representatives have also been invited to answer questions regarding the Fire Levy, the Flood Wall Levy and the Robert Bycroft Levy.

I hope everyone will be able to attend.....

Anonymous said...

A debate is a good idea, but Matt Stewart is not a person for the panel. I know that probably no one is totally unbiased, but I dont think there would be any credibility with him on the panel. He should have nothing to do with any aspect of the debate if anyone is going to take it seriously. I agree there are people in the ville who would be perfectly capable on the panel, although I am not against Joann Bobby. Lucille isnt capable. But Matt is a no-no in this scenario.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate everyone's vote of confidence in me, but I encourage all of you to attend the Morning Journal's candidate forum.
It is always a good chance to hear the candidates in action, and we are focusing on mayoral candidates this year.