Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Dentist Office


The house pictured above has been around for quite some time. From the 1903 booklet entitled City of Wellsville in Black and White I learned at that time it was the home and office of Hamlin Barnes - Dentist. Other than an advertisement for his practice nothing else was mentioned of Dr. Barnes. I couldn't find any mention of him in Edgar Davidson's book either. In my memory I always remembered this house being a private residence as it is today at the corner of 8th & Main. This is snapshot that can be found in that booklet.



Below is a picture of the same house as it looks today. Other than the front windows it doesn't appear that many other changes have been made over the years.

ole nib

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ole nib: I enjoy your writing of the “Ville” and especially the personal research you include. I was wondering if you have seen the “letter to the editor column” this past Sunday in the Review. The following is an excerpt of the letter “After asking Councilman ______ to see what he could do about the abandoned house on Wood and Diamond streets…………”. I have looked high and low and now for the BIG question……where the hell is Diamond Street?

Anonymous said...

Wiz, I believe Diamond Street is in the general area of Eighth Street , an alley running between Wood and Lisbon streets.

Anonymous said...

BTW, nice trip down memory lane Nib. Not my memory of course , a little too old for me to remember , but I sent the link to your site to my Aunt , who now lives in California , and she has enjoyed looking at the old postcard pictures. She grew up in Wellsville as did my other aunt who was married to Richard Jones who owned Jones dry cleaning on Main Street.

************* said...

Wiz - I have often wondered about Diamond St. myself. When getting directions on some of the internet map sites it is frequently mentioned. According to Google Diamond St. is what we know as 8th. In the Before The Memory Fades book there is a small map of the Robertson addition. It shows 5th use to be called South St., 6th used to be called Chestnut St., and 7th use to be called Rose St. Broadway was Walnut St, Commerce was Sugar St. and Washington was Coal St. That was the only mention of street names for the ville I could find. From the map it looks like the Robertson addition went from 4th to 7th and from the river to the hillside. John O was real close if Google is correct.

Anonymous said...

ole nib: I also believe John O is correct. It is the only street down there without a street sign. By the way, John O, your aunt might like the link to Susan Haugh's web site as it shows the flood wall and all the old pictures. Her site can be linked from the Alummi site or www.wellsvilleohio.net.