Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Last Night's Council Meetin'

It was reported in both of our local newspapers that Wellsville Council passed a resolution last night to collect unpaid sewage bills on village income taxes. In other words when you get your income tax bill from RITA the unpaid portions on the sewage bill will be reflected as part of the amount due. I'm wondering if some of the recalcitrant debtors actually pay village income taxes. In my way of thinking if they risk having their water being shut off why would they bother with paying income taxes? There are some that have it automatically deducted from their pay checks and others that don't. They pay quarterly when RITA sends out their friendly greetings. If it's real estate taxes they are going after they are in even more trouble. I imagine many of these unpaid bills are with folks that rent. Whatever happened to citing them into court and having them to face up to what they owe or risk the consequences? Avoiding jail time might provoke some positive results.

Even more disturbing was the news of the cat invasion! I haven't realized it was such a problem. I haven't noticed it so much in my neighborhood. Thanks for the heads up. Then again the cats are probably helping with the rodent control. Is it such a problem?

The Ed Wilson Mystery was prominently mentioned in both papers. Mayor Joe said it might be as early as next week when he gets the findings of the Cleveland law firm's investigation. Like with Attorney Grimshaw's investigation into the Amato murder we will have to wait to learn what the results will be. I'm anxious about both.

Finally I would like to extend my sympathy to the Service Director. Poor Jim is having trouble finding owners of dilapidated properties. Hang in there Jim. Can I assume these owners don't pay real estate taxes?

ole nib

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the village had reached an agreement with the water district regarding water shutoff for those who did not pay sewage bills. What happened to that?

Password said...

m: I remember reading that, too. My guess would be the reason they didn't follow through with it would be that alot of landlords pay (or don't pay) the water and sewage on their rentals. The rentors would be the ones penalized if the water were shut off, not the ones responsible for not paying the bill, although it probably wouldn't take much effort to find out who the landlord is, in that case, and shut THEIR water off. I don't know if that would work or not.
Glad you're back, ole nib. I missed reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

I too thought an agreement was in place with BWD to shut off the water. Most renters, I think, are responsible for their water & sewage bills. I believe the only exception would be multi-unit rentals that only have one meter. Could it be lack of follow up on unpaid bills? Some one has to contact BWD when Earth Tech advises that an account is in arrears. Earth Tech handles the billing for our sewage usage. How is this handled at Village Hall?

Anonymous said...

EarthTech is responsible for sending out the bills but they are not responsible for collecting unpaid balances. This is where Cassi Bloor comes in, who works for the Village. She attempts to collect the unpaid bills. Cassi does an excellent job! She has managed to get thousands of dollars owed to the village paid back.
Now for the law and landlords. The bottom line is that whomever owns the home/apt., that owner is responsible for the bill. Duplicates are sent to the tenant and the landlord in order for the landlord to know whether the bill is being paid or not.
Attaching the balance to one's taxes is the last resort. This is done when all agreements have been unkept or when warnings have gone unanswered.
Water is normally shut off but in cases where the property no longer exists, has been sold, etc... this is when the tax assessment comes into play.
Hope this helps to clear up some confusion. :o)

Anonymous said...

I read the article in the review several times trying to make sense out of it. The problem was the either English is terrible or the author was trying to explain something she did not understand (maybe both). Comments in this blog and ORL did not help much either. I finally came to the conclusion that Wellsville Income taxes have nothing to do with it and RITA will not be involved. I think that Wellsville has sent a list of citizens who owe money on their sewage bill to the county so that these amounts can be added to the property tax bill. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will enlighten me.

Anonymous said...

You are right confused. It is the property taxes that these sewage bills are attached to.