Friday, March 30, 2007

The Whittacre House Site








Here are a couple of more pictures I took yesterday. Pictured above is the memorial stone for The Whittacre House Site. It use to sit alongside the old Potters Bank & Trust building in Wellsville facing Fourth St. It was moved during the remodeling for the now defunct Slammers night club. This historical marker now sits among an old dog kennel, an old beer cooler and what appears to be the lid of a deep freezer. It is only a few feet from where it use to sit. Being in a haze a lot of the time I didn't know what became of it until someone commented about it on Matt Stewart's Ohio River Life blog awhile back.

I would like to propose a challenge to the Wellsville Historical Society and Mrs. Sharon Gates to rectify this abuse of one our historical land marks. I don't think the expense for what I'm proposing would be too much. Mrs. Gates owns that piece of property now and the Historical Society could spearhead the project. If neither party has the funds to undertake this project they could set up the barrels along Main St. some Saturday morning.

All that is needed is a little concrete to build a base for the stone to sit on, a little donated labor to form it up, pour the concrete and a little help from our friends to move the stone a few feet. Thrasher's got that gigantic tow truck that can probably lift that stone and place it on the new base. I propose they place it alongside the building centrally located under that second window.

It would go nice with the gazebo and be in about the same place it was prior to the remodeling. Since Mrs. Gates has shown she is civic minded I'm sure she wouldn't mind kicking in a little and would be more than happy to have it there. It would be unobtrusive no matter what type of business she would put in there.

So many of our historical sites are long gone. They are relegated to memory and fading photographs and not that many people left that remember or can tell you what the picture is. It's my understanding that the Whittacre House was a hotel/boarding house that one time sat on that same spot. If you read the plague on the stone it is really amazing that such prominent people were in Wellsville at one time.

The plaque reads as follows: "Here James A. Garfield, Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson spoke. Gen. Lewis Cass, U.S. Secy of State, was a guest, and Gen. John Morgan, C.S.A., "The Raider" was a prisoner of war." At the bottom I could only make out "Wellsvile Historical" some writing blocked by the cooler and "Southwick Chapter 1950". What was the Southwick Chapter? I can just imagine those notables getting off the train there at Fourth St. and walking up to that hotel. Was there a stop there at one time?

It's not a big thing but it is part of our history. Do you think this could be accomplished? I would be willing to kick in. How about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a shame . Like you I didn't realize what happened to the monumnet until I read about it on ORL. This needs to be brought to the attention of everyone in Wellsville ,as well as the Historical Society and the people responsible for tossing it there in the first place. It's not just Wellsville history ; it's Ohio history as well. Don't let this die.

Anonymous said...

If memory serves me correct, John and Sharon Gates didn't have much control over where the stone was placed, even though they were the ones to foot the $500 bill incurred to have it moved. The Gates wanted it to be located exactly where you've suggested so everyone could enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Coffeecup - That is a cop out. If the Gates owned the property and were paying for the remodeling pray tell me how they didn't have any control over where the stone was moved to? Who was in charge, the inmates at the prison? True I don't know all the details but the fact remains a wrong was done and it needs to be set right. My proposal is an attempt to be fair to all concerned.

Anonymous said...

Nib , do you know any of the members of the Wellsville Historical Society ? I know Brassy Beresford was a member and I think Jim Ralston.

Anonymous said...

I've informed the Mayor about this many moons ago, along with several members of council. I bet Ole Abe is smiling upon them!

************* said...

John - I do know Brassy & his wife Bonnie are both involved. I think Marge Dysert is a member but I don't know how involved she is anymore.

Mister Man - I think you're the one that brought it to my attention on ORL awhile back.

Anonymous said...

Hey ole nib, I am the one who brought this up on ORL awhile ago. Your suggestion of where to place it is fine, except that's where it sat undisturbed for 50 years.

It shouldnt have been disturbed in the first place. I first learned of that stone from the Wellsville video, 1936-1950ish, there is silent film of the dedication of this memorial.

I found it buried behind overgrown shrubs while the building was still Potter's. I was like 12 and I went in and asked for them to trim the shrubs, or if I could, but they assured me, and they took care of it. So it has meaning to me.

I also have a book, paperback similiar to "Before the Memory Fades" and it's got some cool pics and history as well.

I love the Highland Heights postcard you posted. Never saw that before.

I like this forum you started, and I like hearing your thoughts on happenings in the ville, bet we know each other.