Friday, March 30, 2007

The Way It Use To Look




This is a picture I took yesterday of part of Wellsville's flood wall, the Boy with the Boot, and the Wells Avenue bridge. Did you ever wonder what this area looked like before the flood wall? I think the flood wall was built in the 1930s and the Route 7 overpass was built in the early 1970s or late 60s. As far as I'm concerned the flood wall and that bridge has always been there. Both were there before my time. Did ever wonder why part of the street runs right into the wall?



This is a picture of a post card entitled Highland Heights, Wellsville, O. It was printed in Germany and was never sent. There is no date on it but I'm guessing it's somewhere around a 100 years old. At that time there were two bridges. I think the bridge on the left was commonly called the Lisbon St. bridge. You can see the Wells Ave. bridge was very different in those days. Does anyone know if the present Wells Ave. bridge was built at the same time as the flood wall? Check out the trolley crossing it. The boy with the boot is probably the original. A lot of those houses on Highland and Ridge Ave. in the background are still there today. I recognize some of them and the stone wall going up the hill. That hill looks very different today. This picture was before the Roadside Park I wrote about previously was there. I've been told the trolley came from East Liverpool, went down the middle of Broadway on downtown, turned around and made a return trip. The post card was loaned to me by someone who lived in the house over top of the Lisbon St. bridge in the picture. I've also been told that someone speeding down Route 45 tried to turn onto that bridge at a high rate of speed and knocked it into the creek before the flood wall was built. It was never rebuilt. You can still see part of the stone pier along the creek under the Rt. 7 overpass. You can click on either picture to enlarge.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Difficult to imagine Wellsville in those days. I'm not sure when the flood wall was built , but it would have been after the big flood of 1936. There is a book titled "Before the Memory Fades" by Edgar Davidson that was published by the Wellsville Historical Society. I dont know if the Wellsville Library has one or not , but it has a lot of information about the Ville' from 1795 - 1950. I think I have a copy myself somewhere . I need to locate that book before my memory fades.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see that book but I'm far away in Fla. When I was on google with the wellsvilleterminals thing, I mistakenly thought I was reading about Wellsville, Ohio - then realized it was in NY. and its date of beginning was 1850 - had no idea we go back to 1795!

Anonymous said...

I found my copy. The Wellsville Historical Society sold these at the River Museum a few years past. At the time I would take my mother there every Christmas to tour the museum , which was decorated for the holidays and had a Christmas tree , with a different theme, in every room.

I haven't been there in a few years and it seems I remember hearing they no longer decorate at Christmas due to a dwindling membership in the society and lack of younger folks who want to get involved. I may be wrong , and hopefully I am. This week I am going to stop by the museum and check on their hours of operation ; if I can get over there when they are open I'll see if they still have the books.

Anonymous said...

If they have any I would like to purchase one so thanks for checking

Anonymous said...

anonymous, no problem. I'm curious to see if the River Museum is still open and find out who's still in the Wellsville Historical Society. I'll post here when I find out.

Anonymous said...

The River Museum is still open. We donated some stuff last year. Brassy Beresford is who we talked to.

Anonymous said...

Thank's for the info ! I went over this afternoon hoping there would be a sign on the door with the days and hours they are open , but there was nothing there. A friend told me they have Summer hours of 1-5 pm , so I'm going over Sunday and if the Summer hours haven't started yet then I'll call Mr. Beresford . I would like to find out of they have monthly meetings etc. and if they still have copies of Before the Memory Fades. It's been a long time ; I'd like to see inside.

Anonymous said...

I should have stated the Summer hours are on Sunday only. If they were open everyday 1-5 I would have been inside today.

Anonymous said...

I forgot this Sunday is Easter Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I've got two copies of Before the Memory Fades. The Library used to have one or two as well. It's amazing the things that happened here.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I would also love to see that book but I'm too far away as well... :(