Saturday, March 31, 2007

Poolville

In case you don't know it I like to stay away from rumors and innuendo in my posts. In this case the rumor is too news worthy to pass up. One of my inside sources gave me a tip about some clandestine meetings that Wellsville Mayor Joe Sirace and East Liverpool Mayor Jim Swagger have been holding with various other people at Dalonzos-On-The-Hill. My source has been a regular attendant at these meetings and is vehemently opposed to the purpose the two mayors are cooking up that he decided to let it leak.

It seems the two mayors are working on a plan to merge the City of East Liverpool and the Village of Wellsville into one city and rename it Poolville. Even if it doesn't bring in new life into the combined communities they figure there will be a vast economic benefits with the merger. After merging they plan to go all out to annex Liverpool Township into the new city. They want to rebuild the swimming pool at Lake Marwin as a city symbol. Also they believe with all the available land in the the newly annexed township they figure they can entice Seven Flags Over America, a big amusement park company, to build up on the hill by Lake Marwin.

Some other details leaking out of the meetings is the fact that with the increased size and population the two mayors figure their chances of getting more state and federal grants would be greatly enhanced. They want to build a new City Hall somewhere centrally located and sell the buildings they are currently using. This way the problems with the aging buildings would all go away. The number of City Council members would be proportionately determined with a revised map drawn up for the different wards. The former Wellsville would once again become a city. They would determine the mayor of the merged communities with a flip of a coin. They also figure the two school systems will be better off as one entity.

According to my tipster the two mayors are working feverishly to hammer out all the details to have a plan in place in time to get it on the November ballot.

Being stunned I will reserve my opinions until later. I have to digest all the pros and cons before I make any comments. I'm only reporting this as a favor but if there is any truth to this remember you heard it here first.



April Fools ! :-) God bless you Bob Popp where ever you are.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I am glad this was a joke. All I could think of was the uneducated police officers in Wellsville patroling parts of Liverpool and the twp. Good thing this was a joke.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking "has he lost his mind." Whoever has been giving Nib this information has been setting him up. Then I remembered it's the first of April.

Anonymous said...

relief , on the subject of police officers , do you recall a few years past, an East Liverpool police officer discharged a firearm inside a vehicle occupied by a woman and an infant. A woman he was allegedly involved with at the time. I wouldn't call that a very educated move. Wellsville hasn't been without it's share of controversies or screw up's but I would hardly label all of our police officers uneducated.

Anonymous said...

Too Bad it is an April Fools joke....sounds like a good idea to me.

Anonymous said...

When I read that I almost dropped a serious load in my shorts. Then I read April Fools. I guess i will not need Oops I Crapped My Pants after all.
But I must say it was a very good joke. Congrats are in order Ole' Nib.

Anonymous said...

John O: Ironically, the WOMAN involved was from Wellsville.