Friday, March 23, 2007

The Old Roadside Park




Someone commented last week in the article about flooding up on Wells Avenue saying they remember the Roadside Park being completely under water. This photo of a photo is of that park which was located at the corner of Route 45 and Wells Ave. in Wellsville. The overpass for Rt. 7 runs through it today. This was half of the park. The other half was across Rt. 45 and it had a big picnic shelter with multiple tables.

Part of the Roadside Park was the Memorial that faced Wells Ave. This is another photo of a photo. You can see the roof of the big shelter behind the flag pole. The hillside in the background is Ridge Ave. The Memorial and park was wiped out with the building of the four lane Rt. 7. These canons were moved to Springhill Cemetery and can be seen there to this day. Do any of you Wellsville historians know if these canons were of WWI or WWII vintage? I don't but I do remember the park and all. The small building along the fence to the right was an outhouse.
You can click on the pictures to enlarge them. Check out the old cars in the top picture. I don't know who the photographer was or when the pictures were taken. I'm guessing early 1950s.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, I like them. It is to bad that this place still isnt around like it was back then. More people would have a place to walk to. I dont like walking all the way to the park off 10th street ext.

Anonymous said...

Nib, I'm scanning and sending you a post card of the cannons at the park along with some information from the back of the card ; but it doesn't specify their origin. I vaguely remember the park and later a Tastee Freeze , so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

************* said...

Thanks John. The Tastee Freeze and the original Dairy Queen across the street brings about a lot of delicious memories! :-) I loved those ice creams cones John McGarey dipped in hot fudge sauce and Mrs. French at the DQ could make one award winning banana split.

Anonymous said...

I had forgot the Tastee Freeze was in fact McGarey's Tastee Freeze. The main thing I remember was their ice cream cones were made with a spiral twirl and had a different taste / texture from the Dairy Queen soft serve.

Anonymous said...

I am 44 yrs old and I remember the tasty freeze. I really do miss it. Nexts to Nicks pizza the tasty freeze was one of the best in town.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember the roadside park well and the Tastee Freeze-only cost a nickel for a cone. That park was so pretty. The old postcard was really a blast because I did always wonder where that yellow brick(I think it was yellow) road led to before the flood walls blocked it. Thanks for the memories-that sounds like a quote.