Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Drag Out

Did you catch the article in this morning's Review? It was about the Wellsville Terminals being cited by the Ohio EPA of being in violation of their EPA permit by allowing drag out of coal dust on the trucks hauling coal out of there. Imagine that??? The finding was the result of a concerned citizen contacting the Ohio EPA. Most of the test results were at or near the Garfield Elementary School.

The testing of the submitted samples found that it was nearly two thirds coal dust and that it came from the trucks not being washed down prior to leaving the terminal. A "company official" said it was because of the freezing temperatures in the winter season. Did we hit the nail on the head or what?

Can you imagine what is happening to the kids on the play ground during recess breathing in that stuff? Their respiratory systems just like their young bodies are still in the developemental stage. Wonder why the children have so many coughs and colds? I would venture to say some of it was their bodies trying to fight off the effects of breathing in the dust. The effects of children breathing in the dust is just one part of the story. What about folks that already have breathing problems? Yea, I'm being an alarmist but in my Baffle article I stated this is a serious problem.

Did we hear it from our village officials? Noooo. It came from the result of a concerned citizen who decided to try and do something about it. Thank you whoever your are. We need more people like you to get actively involved.

What can be done about this problem? Well, the simple answer is washing the dust off the trucks after they get their tarps on. What can be done in the winter months so this can be accomplished? I suggest a simple pole building with heat and the rubber strip curtains like a car wash that the trucks could drive through. Yes it will be an added expense but will it be cost effective over possible fines and legal costs defending against law suits?

Like I said this should be a top priority issue. I'm not gloating that I suggested that "drag out" in freezing temperatures could be the problem. Honestly I did not have any inside information. Thanks Lucille for bringing us up to date on this issue.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't they put a road from the dock where they unload the coal barges along the railroad line and exit on the southern exit in Wellsville? I realize that the road would be about a mile long but it would be better than going thru town. They could also send the oil tankers the same route. Make the terminal company responsible for cleaning of coal dust off their road.

Anonymous said...

nib: I agree completely with everything you stated. However, I found the following very interesting...."The firm, after receiving the violation letter, will have a specified amount of time to submit a plan to the OEPA to eliminate the problem. Although residents in Wellsville have said they understood a fine also was to be issued, a spokesman for the OEPA said he fine is not associated with the notice.

He indicated the main goal of the OEPA is to help the firm return to compliance"

The aforementioned is quoted from the review article. These comments are astounding to me, I guess they are saying "no Club needed" just trust them to comply. If this isn't crazy thinking I don't know what would be. As was stated before we will be here next year and the years after talking about the same old thing and still the powers (Ville Hall) will still be sitting on their hands.
This is not my opinion just common man sense!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why aren't the owners names ever listed. Who owns the coal terminal and where do they live? And where do most of the employees live? I heard when the landfill started in Negley that no local's would be hired so as not to expose what's dumped there. Now 'it's' going to expand. Columbiana County is going 3D, dumps, dust and drugs. Great for Tourism.

Anonymous said...

I know that cancer rates are on the rise everywhere, but does anyone else think that our area has a rather high rate, especially among younger ages? Could it be from all of the industrial pollution that we receive in the Valley? I know that the Christmas lights that I had on my house we filthy with black dust just from having them hanging for a month or so.

Anonymous said...

I was wrong about the severity of the coal dust problem. I had no idea it was that bad . Please excuse my ignorance from my earlier post.

Anonymous said...

On a Google search for a phone number (440-946-9774) listed for sales for the Wellsville Terminal traces back to Crown Coal & Coke Co. with locations in Pittsburgh and Willoughby, OH.
The web page - www.wellsvilleterminal.co - list two V.P.s, a President & the Superintendent of Operations. A search on their names did not turn up much. The only name I recognize is Mr. Homic and I hear he lives out around Salineville. I could not find a whole lot about the company other than the services they offer.

Anonymous said...

Nib , that URL doesn't work.
Try this

Good story !

Anonymous said...

Whoops! That web site for the Wellsville Terminals should be www.wellsvilleterminals.com. In my haste I screwed it up. My apologies. Terminals in the URL is plural and it is dot com - not co.

Anonymous said...

Well after looking at the chiefs of the Wellsville terminal, I don't think that they are breathing the coal dust!!!

Anonymous said...

what happenned to the idea of a road running through the intermodal park directly to nevada street. that might help?