Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hollow Rock


Yesterday started off the annual interdenominal religious camp meeting down at Hollow Rock in Jefferson County. A report in yesterday's ER noted this is the 190th year for that event. That takes it back to 1818 when it got started. The Hollow Rock camp ground sits on 25 acres and is located on Jefferson Cnty. Route 51 just south of the ville.


I don't know much about Jefferson County history but I do know it predates Columbiana. In fact Columbiana County was once part of Jefferson in the early days. It's just amazing to me that the camp meetings have been going on for nearly 200 years in the same place.


Hollow Rock Camp is a unique place with its pastoral setting nestled in the hillside. For fifty weeks a year it sits mostly abandoned. I've only been there once. A high school buddy had a grandmother that was a regular attendee at the meetings. I helped him take a truckload of house keeping items down one summer for Grandma. She had dibs on the same cabin every year. The cabins or cottages sit so close together there isn't room to open doors on both sides of a pick-up truck. Moving days are the only days one was allowed to drive through there.


Above is a picture of a postcard that was post marked 2-22-1911 advertising the 1911 meetings. Although it's been over 40 years since I was down there it looked pretty much the same then as it does in this post card. Just think if those cabins could talk!


God bless...


ole nib


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ole Nib!

I drove all the way from NC to go to HR camp, and you should come down and see us. I appreciate your comments about camp - I am at the ELO library checking email, and my google search emails me HR camp mentions...yours was in my email.

40 years is a long time, man...come see us at cottage 11, and we'll make sure you feel welcome.

bill h

bill h said...

Hey Ole Nib,

I drove all the way from NC to go to HR camp...you should come down and see us again...I was only 6 the last time you came there!

Bill Herrin - cottage 11

Everyone is welcome...HR camp is a wonderful place to visit...you may want to stay!

Anonymous said...

My Uncle had a cabin at Hollow Rock and every Summer our family would go down for the week long revival meetings. Of course we didn't stay overnight. The cabin was more of a place to rest, wash up and get a bite to eat , but many people that had cabins traveled from quite a distance to attend the services.

The camp revival meeting ; not something you hear of much anymore with superstar televangelists like Joel Osteen.