Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Another Continuance Requested

Indicted CC Health Commissioner Robert Morehead's lawyer was reported to petition the court for a continuance at last Friday's status conference. Morehead's trial was originally scheduled for August 12. There was a disclosure hearing held in mid-June. Nearly a month later Attorney Hartford says he needs more time to get ready.

There are two ways you can look at this. Is Hartford trying to drag it out until prospective jurors won't remember what the indictment was all about? I don't know how Mr. Morehead feels and I can't speak for him but if I had a black cloud shadowing me like him I would be very upset with Mr. Hartford.

Morehead was indicted back on Nov. 30, 2007. Eight months later his attorney says he needs more time to get ready. Give me a break. If it was me I would want to get on with it and get it over with - one way or another. From what I read Mr. Morehead could very well be exonerated of the charges. I hope he is. From the sounds of it the Health Board is mostly to blame for this mess.

At any rate this isn't going to just go away. The press will rehash all the particulars every time something is mentioned. If it was me dragging it out would just make me old before my time. One way or another I would want to get it over with and move on from there.

The next move is going to be the visiting judge's decision whether to grant the request for a continuance or not.

ole nib

No comments: