Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Beauty of Blogging

Recently I was chastised for exercising some "editorial license" when I rejected a submitted comment on here. The comment was about a liability issue with a certain Wellsville resident that just didn't sit right with me. I thought about it for a few days and finally decided I didn't want to go there and finally rejected it. Then I told the commenter that I had rejected it and tried to explain why.

I'm usually pretty liberal in allowing comments even at the risk of making some unhappy. When I started this I allowed a free flow of comments. Readers were able to make a comment, hit the publish tab and it automatically appeared. Then a few months ago there was an attempted character assasination with that priviledge and I had to put the kibosh to that. I was forced to go to comment moderating. I guess I was naive to think it wasn't necessary even though I had been warned. Unfortunately there are some that just can't be civil and those few make moderating a necessity.

There are darn few rules in doing a blog. Google has a few but they are generally common sense rules that are mostly founded in legalities that would apply to any and all. There is no schedule deadline pressures. There is no boss telling you what to do. Although some are paid bloggers and some try to make money with getting hits on posted ads I don't do this for money or favorable considerations. I don't do this for influence of any kind.

I write this blog because I like doing it and for the most part have fun with it. I like to promote the ville but it's not just one sided. The ville has their share of problems just like any other community. For the most part everyone knows what is going on in town as is the same in any small community you would care to mention. For me there are some concerns that I'll write about and some that, in my consideration, are a waste of time and effort. There are just some things that you can't change even if you had the wherewithaw to accomplish anything.

Since starting this blog I have gotten a lot more interested in what is going on and the whys and wherefores of some issues that not only affect me but the ville, the county, the state and our country. I read the papers a lot more. I love digging into the history of what got us to where we are today. My only regret is the lack of time to write about all that strikes my fancy and researching some of those items.

And that is the beauty of being a blogger. Anyone can do it. All you need is the use of a computer. You can even go to the library and use their free computers. Google makes it easy for us fools and it's free. If you don't like Google there're others that provide pretty much the same opportunity and it is all yours. No one can tell you what to say, what to write about or when to write. I don't want to be cocky but this blog is mine. It's my decision on what is put on here. If you find fault with my way you can always do your own blog. I try to be fair with what is put on here. Opinions are many and varied. Believe me - I'm well aware of that. However, I won't compromise my principles to promote those that have no consideration of others or other sides of an issue with their tunnel vision for their agenda. I'll allow some comments that may be slightly distasteful to me to see where it will go. Generally they die out because the person that brought them up is either being selfish with what they say or can't back up what they say.

Life is short. Hopefully we can all get along and enjoy what we have. As the Irish blessing goes "God grant me the serenity".

Life is good...

ole nib

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib, I know that you don't do this for the recognition, but I'm glad you're doing it. I live out of state and it's great to get a different perspective on things that aren't always printed in the paper. I especially like the old photos and the stories that go with them. Keep of the good work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with RJ - I live in Arizona but grew up in Wellsville. Heck most of my Italian relatives grew up there as well, but once the steel mills closed my family up and moved. Evenually Arizona became my new home but Wellsville stays in my soul. I thank you Ole Nib and read/check your blog daily. I find you're fair and just in the comments that are allowed. I hope you stick to your guns and don't let other dictate how you should carry out your blog.

P.S. I love it when you post pictures of the Ohio river area - folks out here tend to think a trickle of water in a bed of rocks is a river!!! Heck - I know what a real river is!!! I grew up on one, seen it flood in the spring and freeze over in the winter. What these native Arizonans think is a river isn't even close to a creek, but in the desert any kind of natural water could be considered an ocean, I guess.

Anonymous said...

THANK GOODNESS THAT YOU DON'T WRITE EVERYTHING THAT PEOPLE SAY! TAKE IT FROM ME, I RECENTLY HAVE MADE SOMEONE FROM THE VILLE VERY MAD AT ME BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS DOING THE WRIGHT THING BY TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT AN INCIDENT. I SINCE HAVE LEARNED, POLITICS AND TRUTH DON'T MIX! NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR THE TRUTH ANYMORE. MY TELLING OF THE TRUTH ONLY LEAD TO A TOWN FULL OF LIES ALL ABOUT ME!I'M DEPRESSED AND CAN'T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT DEALING WITH THIS IN SOME WAY. NOW, THIS PERSON IS OUT TO RUIN MY LIFE! TRYING TO DIG UP ANY DIRT ON ME AND SPREAD THESE LIES.WHO WOULD THINK THAT ONE PERSON COULD MESS SOMEBODY'S LIFE UP SO BAD. WELL, I GUESS IT TAKES THE PEOPLE BELIEVING THE LIES TOO. ANYWAY, I JUST WISHED MORE PEOPLE WOULD THINK THINGS THROUGH BEFORE FEEDING INTO THE VISCIOUS RUMORS OF THE VILLE AND INSTEAD NOT LISTEN OR REPEAT THEM AND THEY'D GO AWAY! PEOPLE COULD GET ON WITH THEIR LIFE. WATCH WHO YOU CALL FRIENDS BECAUSE ONE DAY YOU WAKE UP AND REALIZE, THAT YOU DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THEM ANYMORE!!!

************* said...

Hey AZ Transplant - 'spect those folks out there would consider Little Yellow "Crick" a big river. Yea, we still call creeks cricks here in the ville. Nothing wrong with that. It gives us a unique flavor.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

anonymous..most people only have one or two real friends. Your real friends will stick by you and respect that you had the courage to tell the truth or what you perceive to be the truth. You are right, politics and truth do not go hand in hand and that is very apparent here. This person only has as much power as you are willing to give them. Hold your head up and move on. It will all fall behind you.