Once again the SOI members did a heck of job with a very entertaining and enjoyable three-day festival. Except for about 30 minutes Saturday evening the weather was perfect. Congratulations to the two scholarship winners, Cayleigh Crook & Andrew Gooding, and good luck with your college studies.
In the Morning Journal's “Loose Ends” column in today's edition the Wellsville reporter denied taking a picture of an Immaculate Conception parishioner receiving Communion during the last Mass offered July 23. They said someone “thought such a photo would be sacrilegious”. We've always felt that one's religious beliefs is entirely personal but if someone actually did say that we feel they are not very well versed on Christianity as practiced by Roman Catholics. To us, personally, Communion is the high light of celebrating Mass, signifying the sacrifice Christ made for our salvation. The act of receiving Communion is a commemoration of that sacrifice and should be shared with gladness.
We went back and reviewed the pictures we posted. We did post one of the Bishop and others on the altar preparing for Communion in the collage. We did get pictures of people taking Communion which did not get posted. As a Catholic we do not feel any guilt for taking those pictures. Getting the Word of God out does not have room for hiding behind closed doors, locking doors or hiding one's head in the sand. Receiving the Body & Blood of Christ, as ritualized through Communion, is one of the greatest honors any Christian can be blessed with. It doesn't matter whether you call yourself Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Nazarene or whichever faith one associates with.
Monday – August 8:
- Wellsville Council Property Committee – 1 PM at Village Hall – 1200 Main St.
- WHS Golf Team Tri-angular vs East Liverpool/Beaver Local – 1 PM
- Committee To Save Immaculate Conception – 6:30 PM at SOI Lodge – 327 Main St. - Kitchen will be open
Tuesday – August 9:
- Nothing on our calendar
Wednesday – August 10:
- Nothing scheduled for Wednesday
Thursday – August 11:
- Wellsville Knights of Columbus – 6 PM at E. Liverpool Motor Lodge – Dresden Ave.
Friday – August 12:
- VA Clinic Annual Picnic – 9 AM to 3 PM – Ogilvie Square – Calcutta, OH
Saturday – August 12:
- WHS Football Team Scrimmage – 10 AM at Steubenville Harding Stadium vs Steubenville Catholic Central & Bridgeport
Sunday – August 14:
- Worship at a church of your choice
- Wellsville River Museum Open House – 1 to 4:30 PM – 1003 Riverside Ave. - Admission by donation
We forgot to ask but believe the WHS home golf course is Highland in Glenmore. It wasn't shown on the schedule. Monday's golf match is a “home game” for the Tigers. Someone help us out here.
Have a good week everyone...