Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ohio River Clean Fuels Plant

It's been awhile since we heard any news about Baard's plans for the ORCF plant. Back in December of this past year we were told that it was hoped that they would begin clearing the hill top land over looking Wellsville in May or June. Here it is the first full week in July and the last thing I recall in the newspapers that even remotely refers to Baard was an AP photo of Sierra Club members protesting in Cleveland in early June. We haven't seen any movement on the hill top.

Like many in Wellsville and this tri-state region a lot of hopes are riding on seeing this plant getting built and in operation. After mulling over the paucity of news for awhile I began asking around if anyone has heard anything. I talked to the Mayor. Nothing. I talked to members of the Chamber-of-Commerce and they said no. Have I heard anything? Everyone I asked gave me that deer in the head lights look.

This morning I decided instead of beating around the bush I would try the direct approach and called Baard Energy. Never thinking I would get through to anyone other than someone in Public Relations I talked to Steve Dopuch, V.P. of Business Development for Baard. Mr. Dopuch has been to Wellsville many times and was very accommodating in answering my questions.

Mr. Dopuch assured me plans are proceeding with the ORCF plant but like everything across the length and breadth of this country the present day economy has slowed things down. Baard is still coming but it's just not as fast as previously hoped for.

Currently they are working with the trade unions for the labor agreements and with financial institutions ironing out the money details. They are also doing pipeline studies. I failed to ask but I imagine those studies are related to transferring the liquefied carbon dioxide to be sequestered in the old Canton oil fields.

Mr. Dopuch said it is still hoped to begin clearing land sometime before the "snow flies". He also said to tell Wellsville hello.

That's the latest. Thanks Steve for taking time out of your busy schedule.

ole nib

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is good news about the Baard plant. I too was getting a little concerned because we have not heard anything about the plant for a while. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Good job Nib in taking the bull by the horns and contacting Baard directly. The fact that you spoke to directly Mr. Dopuch is reassuring as to the company's commitment to this project.

Can anyone add any insight as to the status of the union negotiations? Brian Wallace, are you listening?