Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dairy Queen


Back earlier in the month in one of my Notes columns I showed a picture of the Dairy Queen as it looked early on. Here's a better one.


When the DQ first came to town it was located on Wells Avenue facing the intersection with Route 45. Over the years it was remodeled and expanded but this is what it looked like when it was first built in the early 1950s. Eventually it was torn down and rebuilt. Dalonzos Pizza was located there at one time and it is now the Oriental resturaunt.


Being part of the neighborhood on Highland Avenue I remember it well. May French use to live in one of the houses in that row of houses you see in the background on the other side of Wells. She worked there and I think she use to give us neighborhood kids an extra swirl on those nickel cones. Yea, you could get a nickel ice cream cone back then. I think the biggie went for 25 cents. We kids use to scrounge the neighborhood for empty pop bottles, sell them back to the Amoco gas station that was on the other side of the DQ and spend our hard earned money on ice cream. That gas station was runned by Virgil Koontz back in the days when they recycled pop bottles. You got 2 cents for every bottle you brought back.


Can anyone tell me if the DQ was built before or after the Tastee Freeze across the street? I can't remember for the life of me. However, I do remember we gave them both a lot of business even if it was just nickle & dime stuff!


This picture is part of what is believed to be the Bucky Moore collection recently donated to the Wellsville Historical Society & Riverside Museum.


When I saw these pictures it was like what Yogi Berra use to say. It's deja vue all over again...


ole nib

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures from the Moore collection. They brought back many great memories of growing up on Wells Ave. Route 7took our family home on Wells Ave.back around 1968.

************* said...

My apologies to the French family. I originally called Mrs. French Mabel. Her name was May and it has been corrected.

Someone recently sent me a picture of a tee shirt that says "I've seen it all, done it all, heard it all. I just can't remember it all." Guess that partially applies to me.

nib

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures! Seeing that picture of the Dairy Queen brought an instant but fond pang of recognition. I worked there for seven summers and wish I'd have taken just one picture of the place. I definitely remember the Tastee Freeze and remember calling it McGarey's. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time. My brother and I used to play on the cannons in the park, and drink from the little water fountain there -- or maybe it was a pump? It's amazing how a picture or two can instantly take you back 40 or so years, as if it were just yesterday.

Nick D said...

Awesome pics Nib, It's very nice to see the Ville in the old days. I don't think I've ever seen some of the pics you've posted on here. Ecspecially up town with the 45 park and Tastey freeze. Awesome......

************* said...

Thanks Nick. Glad you enjoyed them.

nib