Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bucky Moore Collection


A few weeks ago a stack of photo albums anonymously appeared sitting on the caboose at the Riverside Museum. There was no note or anything indicating where they came from. Wellsville Historical Society member Bob Lloyd, one of the railroad coffee klatch group that meet at the caboose weekly, is one of them that found this donation. He and Historical Society President Brassy Beresford tell me they believe it is part of the late Bucky Moore's collection of photographs.


I never knew Mr. Moore but they tell me he was a retired railroader that lived on Main St. I was told Bucky never went anywhere without his camera, whether he was working or not. Sounds familiar. Bob tells me this donation contains over 700 pictures. Most of them are of trains which I'm sure will be part of next Sunday's special program on railroads at the museum. Bob digitalized the entire collection and now has them on discs. Included on the disc is some pictures of the ville as it use to be. I think most of those pictures were taken in the early part of the 1950s. Shown here is the 4th Street Square Memorial as it looked back then. Additionally I put a few more in a series with a brief history of what I recall. Please feel free to add any comments of what you recall. The ones I've shown really brought back a lot of memories for me personally. There's a few more of different locations but we'll save them for later.


These are the kinds of pictures that really get me excited. Seeing parts of the ville that is long gone is part of learning of how we got to where we are today. I thoroughly enjoy getting into the ville's history and have been kicking myself for not joining the Historical Society long ago. Every time I go over to the museum I see something new. It is a treasure trove of Wellsville history and with donations like this it keeps growing.


If you're or anyone you know are cleaning out old things that relate to the past, especially Wellsville, please keep the Society in mind. I often wonder how many old pictures and notes have been thrown out, that were part of someone's collection, by people who can't relate to them. That's part of history that will never be saved. That's a shame.


Thanks to Bob Lloyd & the Historical Society for the loan of the disc. Hope you don't mind that I posted a few of them. After looking at them yesterday evening I couldn't wait to get started this morning.


ole nib





No comments: