Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Floodwall Murals Continued






Although still a work in progress here is the newest mural and the next one that artist Gina Hampson is working on. Gina wasn't around when I stopped by but she was somewhere near-by. I didn't want to bother her if she was taking a lunch break.




Nearly completed is a painting of the Prezzia Shoe Shop. That shop was located on Main Street next door to Kat's Kitchen. The first floor front of the house had the shoe shop and the Prezzia family home took up the rest of the residence. When I was growing up it was one of three shoe shops in town that I remember.

Things were different in the days I was growing up when it came to shoes. Shoes were mostly American made and were made to last. If the heels wore down or a hole in the sole appeared they were taken to the shop to be repaired. When you picked them up they were as good as new and shined with a complimentary polishing. With parents that grew up through the depression years shoes weren't thrown out. They were passed along to younger siblings or maybe cousins if you out grew them. Folks like Mr. Prezzia made a decent living providing this service. They were artists in their own right. It was a piece of life that is sadly part of a long gone era.

As I said Gina wasn't around but she did have a sketch taped up of her next mural. It's fairly self explanatory on what it is going to be. We'll have more on it in the future.




ole nib



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two more great additions to the floodwall murals. Speaking of shoe repair shops does anyone know where you can get shoes repaired in our local area ? Sure is a dying profession...........

************* said...

The last one I knew of was in the Little Bldg. in ELO and that is long gone too.

nib

me said...

I get my motorcycle boots (good leather I don't want to throw out) repaired and resoled in Columbiana at Cobbler's Corner. He does a great job!

justus said...

someone threw that big trash container into the creek. How sad and stupid is that? It will probably stay there forever which is to bad because it really looks like crap. I think they need some lights down there.

Anonymous said...

Well why don't you pay for some lights, the Village is broke, they can't keep spending money.