Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Least We Forget


This picture was e-mailed to me today. I don't know who took it but it touched me. I thought I would share it with you all. It is a picture of wreaths placed on the graves in Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C. According to my sources this picture was taken in 2005. Today was the first time I saw it. They have a wreath laying ceremony on December 14th each year.


The wreaths - some 5000 in all - are all donated by a fellow named Merrill Worcester, owner of Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. He has been donating wreaths for the project since 1992 to honor some of the veterans who served our country and are laid to rest at Arlington. Each year they decorate a different section and will eventually honor each and everyone buried there. Five thousand is only a fraction of the number of graves there. I don't think the gesture is meant to be a damper on our Christmas spirit but rather one man's way of saying thanks from a grateful nation. I think it is very thoughtful and I would like to thank Mr. Worcester for his efforts.


We could use more people like him.


ole nib

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking picture.

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib:
My Dad was a WW11 vet and is buried in Wellsville. Today is the 2nd anniversary of his death. When I saw this picture this morning I was very touched. I am in D.C. right now and cant be where my Dad is buried today. Thanks for the wonderful picture. Somehow, it made me feel closer to home.