Saturday, December 29, 2007

Dalonzo's

Back on December 7th I wrote an article entitled Dear Santa. It was a wish list for what we would like to have in town that would make the ville a more attractive place to live. At the time one of the things on my list was a decent restaurant where you could get a good home cooked meal and possibly have a cocktail or two while waiting to be served. I must have been partially brain dead at the time. When I wrote that piece I never once thought of Dalonzo's-On-The-Hill. It wasn't an intentional slight. It was simply an oversight with no insult intended. As I said I must have been partially brain dead at the time. Thankfully a couple of days later some of our good readers reminded us of Dalonzo's.

Shortly after that some other commenters with no common decency attempted a character assassination of Dalonzo's proprietor bringing up unsubstantiated rumors and inuendos. It was obvious they were shooting off their mouths with nothing to back it up with and were hiding behind the anonymous signature. Talk about being brain dead. I doubt if those people even have enough brain matter to determine if it's functioning. It was very upsetting to me and Nick to say the least. Again I apologize that those comments got past me. It won't happen again.

First off anyone's personal life is their business and their business alone. It is certainly not my concern and no concern of anyone else. We'll write on public personas and events. There's no shortage of material for subjects in that arena. Time permitting politicians alone can keep you very busy.

Speaking of public personas lets take a look at Nick Dalonzo and what he's contributed to our fair village. Wellsville is very fortunate to have one of their hometown sons decide there is a future in the village and that he decided to stay here. Nick was born and raised here. He went through the Wellsville school system. He got his start in the food business back in the early 80s when Dalonzo's Pizza opened down on Commerce Street after Crucible Steel closed their doors. Even before that Nick had a passion for cooking. His cooking education came from one of the best sources available to anyone. He picked up his culinary skills from his mother and grandmother. Papa Joe had to have some input too. Jo Jo's sauce is one of the best you'll find anywhere.

After a fire put the pizza shop out of business in 1988 Nick went on to be a x-ray tech but he never lost his passion for cooking. Ten years later Nick put it all on the line and opened his own pizza shop here in town and it was enthusiastically welcomed. A few years later he was able to expand his shop into a full line Italian restaurant with some old family recipes and quite a few of his own. Nick dropped pizza from the name and renamed his eatery Dalonzo's. You could still get the same great tasting pizza but he also gave us additional choices with an expanded menu.

While all this was going on Nick got very involved with our fair community. He is very active in our Chamber-of-Commerce and there is hardly a Chamber event that is held that Nick isn't involved in some manner. Just earlier this month he portrayed Santa in the Christmas parade. He also lends his help to the revitalization committee. I remember seeing him and his son Nicholas helping to clear the brush up at the floodwall. Believe me that is hot, dirty work but Nick was there for it all.

Nick is a very real benefit for our community. How he finds time to run a business full time and still have time left for all he does is beyond me. He has a heart as big as the state of Texas and has amply displayed his dedication and devotion to our hometown.

Now a days he is the owner and operator of Dalonzo's-On-The-Hill located in the old Fairview School building up in Hillcrest. What he has done up there is nothing short of amazing with the bar, the lounge, restaurant, banquet facilities, theme rooms and game room. It is a great place for banquets, parties or meetings of any sort or just a real nice place to go for dinner. Not only are the facilities quite attractive the menu is second to none. For the best in Italian cuisine you need not look any farther than up on the hill.

They have a very attractive web site that can be found at http://www.dalonzos.com/. You can find their complete menu there and can even get orders delivered. They even have a coupon you can print up for a discount. Although not located within the village limits Dalonzo's-On-The-Hill is very definitely an asset to this piece of heaven we call home.

Before closing there is one other thing I want to mention. Back in February of this year Nick allowed some promoters to hold a "rave" up there. Nick told me himself that he was naive about just what a rave was and at the time so was I. I just thought it was a bunch of hard rock music lovers looking for a place to party. I was only partially right but from what I've been told by Nick and others that attended it went very smoothly with out a lick of trouble from anyone there. It was a huge crowd and a very profitable night for the establishment. For the promoters it was extrememly sucessful and they have been after Nick to hold more. Because of suspected drug use by some of those in attendence Nick has turned down five or six additional opportunities for the good of the community. Even though he has a chance to make some big bucks that's the kind of guy Nick is. That tells me he has a good head on his shoulders. That's just one reason Nick Dalonzo is a real plus for the ville.

Stop by sometime. Have a bite to eat. If you have a drink make sure you have your designated driver with you. Nick puts his heart and soul into what he serves. Once you try it you'll see. As Jo Jo says "Seven days without Dalonzo's pizza makes one week"...

ole nib

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the play on words is actually: "Seven days without DaLonzo's pizza makes one WEAK."
I've never had it and never eaten at DaLonzo's on the Hill but sounds pretty good. I will try it soon.
(The Hot Dog Shoppe in ELO has that same saying on the backs of their shirts, of course, using "Hot Dog Shoppe hot dogs" and not pizza...duh)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to site another example of the good-heartedness of Nick. For several years Nick has been a friend to the Wellsville Band Boosterd. He furnished pizza to our concession stand and for band parties. Nick also held a fund-raising spaghetti dinner,donating the spaghetti. We made 100% profit from this event.
On behalf of the band boosters a huge THANK YOU NICK. You were always there for us.

Anonymous said...

Nick has been a part of our lives for over 20 years..My husband & I started getting his pizza when they were in Wellsville in 85..This was before the fire..then we followed him to Toronto,Ohio..He has feed us many,many times when we didn't have the money to eat...He would even deliver to us out of his way... The latest thing he has done for us was to help my husband find his son & now we know our Granddaughter that we may never have gotten to know we had...Nick, You will be rewarded in heaven my man for all you have done not just for us but for everyone that has known you in their life....There are no words that we can say other than.."THANK YOU" Many times over again...God Bless you & all your family our life long friend....
Love & Prayers,
Mike -n- Tyra Anderson

Anonymous said...

We ate there one afternoon about 4 months ago and were not impressed. Time frame: Weekday, about 3:00 PM, no other customers, spagetti and meatballs, score - 3 out of 10.
The waitress was friendly and the area was clean, but that didn't help the food.

Anonymous said...

Dont know what inuendos or character assination you speak of , I missed those posts , but as far as being brain dead , I dont think so : Dalonzo's-On-The-Hill , is NOT in town. It may be a good place to eat , but it's outside of the Wellsville corporation limit , and I wish it wasnt. I like a good slice of Dalonzo's , but it's not the most convienent location if all you want is a couple slices or pizza , and live on 9th Street. Thats way Nicks Pizza is so much busier than before. Who wants to drive up Rt 45 , specially in bad weather , just for a couple slices of pizza or a hot sasuage sandwich.I think they lost a lot of buisnes when they moved "out of town."

Anonymous said...

Well Ole Nib, you sure know how to toot a guy's horn. To that, I say Thank you. I'll keep this short and sweet; not to press my luck, and I'll continue to do what I can to give a helping hand. I think it's in my blood, or so I've been told. Thanks again, have a good New Year, Nick DaLonzo

Anonymous said...

I have known Nick for years. When his family opened up the pizza shop downtown I went there because it was close and because the pizza was really good. After that fire Wellville lost a future mainstay. But now he is back. My wife and I had our wedding and reception at DaLonzos and his staff were really great. Granted we have not been there since but have always wanted to go back because i do think the food is good and my kids like playing the games and writing on the chalkboards.

Nick and his staff didn't deserve the attack that was dealt to them. I don't care if it was true or not you don't go on a blogsite and do that. Whatever goes on with his personal life is his business and no one else. It was all uncalled for. If anyone did have any sort of proof that any of the things that was suppose to be going on there I do think something would ahve been done about it.

As far as I am concerned Nick runs his eatery the way he sees fit and he does it in a professional way.

Nick, my wife and I will be seeing you soon and have the game room ready for my kids.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see that the rude and harsh comments about Nick have been taken off. Also, I would like to say to the pople who don't want to waste their precious gas to go barely one mile up 45, the food is definatly worth it! Nick makes the best alfredo sauce in the world! Not to mention you can't get good tasting homemade pizza in Wellsville, so get your butt up the hill!

Donald Carter said...

I have eaten at DaLonzo's several dozen times, when he was by the flood wall and now up on the Hill.

We have since moved and still drive there to eat.

I would like to say it was fantastic - but there were times when the meatballs or sausage were cold. However, my family and I usually ate there before the dinner rush, and before Nick showed up. But Nick always took responsibility and made things right.

And when he is on location we NEVER had a problem - and the food was fantastic.

One time, after I told him how much we loved his French Salad Dressing, he left us a pint on our doorstep.

And now that I live elsewhere, and I think about my hometown, I see a few faces - and Nick's is one of them.

Thanks, Nick

Carl, Amanda, Bayley, Tristen and Christopher

Anonymous said...

eating in the ville:
i agree with you totally about the loss of business for nick. his heart was definitely in the right place though. every business owner loves a little expansion that gives them more of an edge. location on the other hand is a little out of place when inclement weather hits. then again, im sure there were unseen things with his lease at the prior place of business. i remember when that place was PACKED every night. it was packed because the food was good and the location was easily attainable. Sure, the school is only 30 seconds farther, but uphill on a road thats notorious for not being in the best of condition in the winter. i understand nicks pain, but i also understand customer safety. on any note i wish nick only the best up there. good luck pal

Anonymous said...

I often go up to DaLonzo's but haven't been there for a while. I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere was pleasant. The people were friendly like many people say. I always had a nice waitress, it was always either Mindy or the young blonde girl. Nick does a good job making sure you are satisfied with your food and service. Way to go.

whsclassof19.. said...

To eating in the ville...
I had to smile at your comment...
I grew up in Hillcrest, and we had to go out of our area to get anything! Going downtown to get pizza or anything else was a treat, not a burden. It's about time someone took advantage of starting a business on the hill. Hillcrest people may live out of city limits, but they are still wellsvillians!