Sunday, August 31, 2008

WHS Athletic Hall-of-Fame Brunch







Yesterday morning the HOF Committee wrapped up this year's ceremonies honoring the 2008 Class at a brunch and presentation of plagues. There were nine inductees from the Senior Era and nine from the Modern Era. They had the biggest turn-out in the history of this event. I estimated the crowd to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 people.




Reporter Jen Matsick of the ER has a very good write-up of the event in today's paper. They are doing a two part series to get all of the story done. Today's article was mostly covering the members of the Senior Era. The next will cover the Modern Era. So, I won't go into as much detail that Jen covered. It's available on-line and photographer Wayne Maris was there. There will probably a slew of pictures in their CU Gallery.




The oldest athlete honored was Georgia Weekley Kraus from the class of '25 for girl's basketball. The youngest honored were three members of the class of '96 which was Kelly Martin, Ryan Nightingale & Sean Wright. Georgia's scoring record of 240 points held until it was broken in 1983 by another girl.




This was the fourth class inducted into the HOF and I must say I was impressed with the event. It was a first for me to witness but it seemed that it was professionally organized and presented. The program was outstanding and the sign pictured above was top notch. Wonder if Jeff Campbell had anything to do with those banners? I know, or know of, most of the members of the committee and I don't think any of them had a career in setting up events like this. You folks certainly deserve a pat on the back and a "job well done" for your efforts. There's no doubt that a lot hard work and time went into getting it done.




Before closing I would like to mention the "best dressed" individual that I saw yesterday. I've seen the outfit before but it was the first time I've seen it up close & personal. John Henry, you certainly extol the virtues of school spirit. You were absolutely splendidious with that suit & shoes!




Thanks to the all that were responsible getting this event going. You proved once again that Wellsville is certainly a nice place to live. You can click on any of the pictures to enlarge.




And thanks for having me...




ole nib




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was my first time attending the Hall of Fame presentation and I was very impressed. Gary Malone, Karen Dash and their staff deserve a lot of credit. I told them both that this is what the Riverside Reunion Committee is striving for the Legends Awards. Very classy and very well organized. Larry Baldasare was my idol when I was 10 years old. I was able to tell him and his 10 year old son a memory I have of getting Larry's autograph after we beat West Holmes in the tournament in 72. To me that was as big as a kid today meeting Labron James. And Larry is as classy now as he was then.