Monday, August 25, 2008

The Cradle of Liberty


Been wondering where I've been? Well, the missus & I took off to make a first time visit to Boston, Massachusetts, recently. It's a city nick named the "Cradle of Liberty" and some refer to it as the "Cradle of Freedom". It's where our country's forefathers drafted and wrote the Declaration of Independence which led up to the Revolutionary War, a war fought to gain American independence from England. It's a city founded in early colonial times nearly 200 years before Wellsville was even thought of. It was awesome.


As I said before I'm a lover of history but I certainly don't profess to be very knowledgable in colonial or Revolutionary War history. Touring some of the historical sites around Boston brought back a lot memories of things we were taught in grade school history lessons. Seeing some of the sites gave us a sense of perspective of some of our country's early history. The places we heard about and the events that took place actually happened there. The people really did exist that were part of those early times. We saw where some of them lived and where some of them are buried.


We found Boston to be a unique city with a lot of character. It is very tourist friendly and most of the historical sites are within easy walking distance. We were there only for a few days and found out you can't even come close to take in all that is available to see, even if you had a month's time to spend there. Just seeing some of the buildings with all the different architectural styles that date back over the centuries mixed in with modern sky scrapers is enthralling. To see some of the parks, especially Boston Gardens, was special. We would definitely recommend it and we hope to get back there ourselves someday. We saw quite a bit but there is still much more we would love to see.


Pictured above is Faneuil Hall (pronounced fan-yule) where John Hancock, George Washington, Samuel Adams and the fellows drafted and wrote the Declaration of Independence. The other picture is the old Massachusetts State House with the second floor balcony. It was from that balcony that the Declaration was first read to the public. See what I mean about being mixed in with modern sky scapers?


I'll be showing more pictures and a little of the history of some of the other places we saw from time to time. In the mean time I have to catch up with what's been happening in the ville. Did I miss anything exciting?


ole nib


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nib:
It is great you got to go. I have been there a couple times and it is beautiful and wonderful to see.

Anonymous said...

Now, Nib . . . I can't believe you visited Boston and didn't even call me!!! We just talked about this a month or so ago!

Opinion, I agree with you. Boston, and Massachusetts for that matter, is a beautiful place.

Nib, just shakin' my head! Wait till I see you!

************* said...

You Know - So sorry. I even thought I should have called your dad to get a phone contact before we left. Next time. I promise.

We were only there for three nights and two days. Seems we ran the whole time we were there - so much to take in. No car. My legs are still aching! Our first full day there we walked from Avery St. to the Prudential Center & back after touring the Commons. It was brutal. So much to see. They didn't even give me time to try one of those "best in Boston" martinis you recommended. To make matters worse the missus has a cousin from Midland that lives up there that we didn't call. So much to do & so little time this trip.

Next time, really...

nib