Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nicholson Stadium


Here's the newest of the floodwall murals that was just recently completed. It's all done except for the sponsor's name that is usually put on the bottom.


I couldn't find much history on Wellsville's Nicholson Stadium. It's always been there in my memory but that's not the case. In a book titled Life And Times In Wellsville, author Nathan Morrison mentions that football games were played in Central Park until the mid-twenties and then were moved up the Hammond's Park. Central Park is where the high school sits today and carnivals use to be held.

This mural is showing a game between the Tigers and the EL Potters. From the clothes I would guess this was from a photo dating back to the late forties or early fifties. Didn't WHS quit playing the Potters back in the mid-fifties?


That game was a big Thanksgiving Day rivalry and it didn't matter if you had a losing season. If you won the annual "Turkey Bowl" you had a successful year. Mr. Morrison said that back in the twenties when he was in school football was "the" sport at WHS always drawing big crowds compared to what they would see for basketball games. Of course back then he said the gym was in the basement of the old high school. I imagine seating was sparse in that gym. Mr. Morrison also said that the rivalry between the two towns was always intense and he suspects it goes back to when the railroad first came to the ville. Wellsville got the railroad first but that's a different story.


Who was Nicholson and why was the stadium named after him/her? When was the stadium built? Perhaps some of the ville's history buffs can fill us in. From the type of construction I'm guessing it was built back in FDR's Reconstruction Days following the Great Depression.


Incidentally, WHS opens their season August 22 at Strasburg. They'll be at home the 29th against Toronto.


Gina is now working on the other end wall facing the street. There was a notice in this morning's ER that Johnny Albaneso's family has set up an account at Central Federal for donations to sponsor a mural of Johnny's Lunch. They are hoping to get the panel next to this mural. Johnny was always an avid supporter of Wellsville athletics.


This month would have been the 70th anniversary of the opening of that resturant. My mouth still waters for a plate of his french fries smothered in gravy!


ole nib


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pic! Johnnys Lunch would be awesome to see on the wall. Good luck to the family. I could go for some fries myself. Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Gina is an absolute artist. I hate to see the day when she runs out of room on the flood wall. And I hope steps are being taken to preserve her artwork for future generations.

Anonymous said...

Another great mural. I think Johnny's Lunch would be wonderful to see on the floodwall. I hope the family can raise the money.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the stadium a WPA project during the Depression? I seem to remember writing something about that while covering Wellsville many moons ago.

************* said...

jobob - Maybe that is where I got that idea. Somewhere in the recesses of cob webs in my mind I seem to recall reading or hearing that it was build in that era. Maybe Sparky Miller can help us out with the answer.

nib

Anonymous said...

The murals are sealed every year with a special sealent to protect them. It is very expensive, but as you can see, there is no fading of the murals. Also,the boardwalk must be sealed this year. I hope people will support our fundraisers this fall so we can continue to do the upkeep.

Anonymous said...

"Nicholson" Stadium. I think about it. I think he donated the land to have the stadium built or was bought by the district. I did have a little red book that my son found that had the story of Nicholson Stadium. If I find it I will relay the story to you. But if I remember the story, Nicholson had something to do with the school district.

Anonymous said...

committee member: What fund-raisers will you be having this Fall? There is nothing on your web-site.

Anonymous said...

I really need to find out if someone has any pictures of the original Nicks Pizza building. Please respond here if you do.