Thursday, August 14, 2008

Calcutta Health Care Center Open House




Yesterday's event at CHCC on Bell School Road was written up big time in both our local papers this morning. It was an open house affair to show off their remodeling and to introduce the new owner. I'm putting my two cents in because there is a Wellsville connection to that facility.


One of the papers said they estimated that nearly 1,500 people trooped through there yesterday. The biggest attraction was retired boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and today's middle weight champion Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik. They were there signing autographs. Both of those gentlemen are from the Youngstown area. Getting to meet "Boom Boom" was what got me out there. I'm not a huge boxing fan but I remember Mancini was hugely popular when he was fighting and from what I saw yesterday he still is. He has been out of the fight game for nearly 20 years.


They tell me Mancini put in about five hours without a break signing autographs and greeting folks. There was about a two hour waiting in line to get that autograph. They had to drag him away so he would be able to get to another engagement yesterday evening. That's the kind of guy he is and he was that way twenty years ago. Always a gentleman and very considerate of other people and that's what made me one of his fans.


The open house was something else too. There was hot food, pasta salad, snacks, soft drinks, ice cream sundaes and a chocolate fountain. They had a whole list of give-away prizes you could sign up for and it was all free just for showing up. They had also demonstration booths set up for medical stuff which was largely ignored. From what I could see the folks where there mostly for the celebrity attractions and the food. The kids seemed to enjoy Froggy from radio station WELA.


That place was opened in 1995 by a fellow named Tom Nordquist from Columbiana. Now here comes part of the Wellsville connection. Prior to opening that place Nordquist owned the old Mansion Health Care that was here in town. It was in that old house that still sits on Main Street across from the Catholic church. When they opened CHCC they moved the patients out there and Nordquist sold that house.


CHCC is a long term care facility plus an intermediate care facility offering an array of physical therapy, occupation & speech therapy and rehabilitation for patients that have had an illness, been in accidents or had some kind of reconstructive surgery. It's not just a nursing home. That's just part of what they do out there. They also have two other similar facilities up in the Youngstown area.


Tom Nordquist recently sold his interest to Joe Cilone from East Liverpool. Joe started out in the business as a nurse. Now here comes the other ville connection. Mrs. Cilone, Joe's wife, is a Wellsville native. She is one of Tom & Marcia Gaulitier's daughters. So, along with patients from the ville and employees from the ville, Wellsville is well represented out there. I'm just guessing at the spelling of Tom & Marcia's last name. I probably butchered it. Please forgive.


Pictured above is "Boom Boom" signing autographs, some youngsters taking delight with Froggy from WELA and his honor, Wellsville Mayor Joe Surace with the Tom Nordquist.


If you missed that shindig yesterday you missed out on a good time. I can vouch for the fact that when Joey & Stephanie Cilone throw a party it's a whale of a party. Thanks for having me.


ole nib


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mancini was a good boxer and a good person. When he accidentally killed killed that Korean boxer I believe it changed his life forever. I also remember there was a lot of debate on whether boxing should be banned.

I hope Joe Cilone does a better job of running the Calcutta facility than the previous owner. Ask anyone who has ever worked there ; it was one of the worse nursing homes in the area. It may be all shiny and new , but grossly understaffed and mismanaged. I've had many of the PCA's tell me how bad they felt for their patients ; there were just too many patients and not enough PCA's to be able to care for them in the way they should have been.

So who owns the old Mansion Health Care building now ? What an eye sore.

Anonymous said...

Say CHEESE, Mayor.

Anonymous said...

Hell yea Surace would be there, free food.

Anonymous said...

Whoever owns that old mansion health care building should be fined everyday until they fix it up. You know, it is really not that hard to enforce property codes so we can have a nice looking town..who is in charge of enforcing those codes?

Anonymous said...

Mr. Nordquist considers himself quite the playboy. Can't run a company and keep employees when life is one big party. Good Luck Joey. Hope you learned from his mistakes.

Anonymous said...

I know this is changing the subject, but does anyone have any pictures of the original Nicks Pizza? Not the building as it is now, but the old building. Please respond here if you have any pictures.

************* said...

Anon - For what it's worth the mayor told me he was out there to meet Boom-Boom. The free food was a bonus and it was good. I know I helped myself for an early supper. It was there for everyone, even you.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

Of course you can't have an article and a picture of the Mayor without someone taking a swipe, god forbid you had put a picture of Jim Sarraco. Ha, friggin crybabies never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

Surace is anywhere that there will be something free in it for him. From what I here, since he got his raise he is never at the office. He misses more than anybody. Quit going to free events and try to do some good. We know it's hard for you, but at least put on a good show. Keep your ass in the office.

Anonymous said...

The Mayor doesnt need to be in the office on weekends. Anytime I have gone to Village Hall he is there. Get the facts jackass.

************* said...

Also, bear in mind, that the job of village mayor is only part-time. I think Surace spends ample time there no matter what he is paid. I also know the mayor has been busy with personal stuff lately and that probably explains him not being there as much as he usually is. That aside he is not required to be there 24/7.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib: You may know what you are talking about. However, I would assume that the Mayor is a salaried employee and not paid by the hour. That being said, every salaried position I have ever held, I was required to be available at all hours, including my regular hours. If he is a part-timer then it should be posted somewhere what his working hours are. At least, this is the way most entities work, government or not. But seeing we are discussing the “Ville”, that wasn’t probably thought of either!

Anonymous said...

You people amaze me> This article is about Calcutta Health Care, Not the mayor. Somehow you people also find someway to insult him....Get a life. You certianly need one.

Anonymous said...

I am a salaried employee but am by no means required to be avaliable at all hours. Get real. I can juggle my schedule however I want as long as I get my work done. No one gets paid enough to be on 24/7.
Give up on it already.

Anonymous said...

full of it: I should have said, and most would understand, I meant employees that are in management. Evidently, you are not!

Anonymous said...

I am in a management position, but I am not on call 24 hours a day like a Dr. I have to fulfill my duties but I am not required to be on call 24 hours. I am sure there are many salaried management positions that do not require 24 hour service. People who work under me are not salaried. I would hardly find my situation a rare thing.

Anonymous said...

Obviously the comments that are left about the staffing are made by people who dont understand how a skilled facility is ran and how they are reimbursed. Calcutta is above the state mandated staffing and always have been. Those employees that no longer work there do so for a reason. Maybe you need to look at out past surveys. We are a Great LTC facility!!! THE STAFF KICKS BUTT!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a parent who is a resident at the Health Care Center ~ I visit everyday and only miss if myself or one of my kids are sick ~ the staff is wonderful I consider most of them as friends or an extended part of my family~ but they are understaffed. Call lights sometimes can be on for 20 minutes or more without being answered~ It is also very clean ~there are housekeepers for each wing and they clean the rooms everyday. I know there are a lot of problems with LTC facilities and nobody wants a loved one to become a resident at one but just like everything else in life the experience is only going to be as good or bad as you make it. if you treat people with respect and kindness they will treat you the same ~ and those who say rotton things are probably the same people who stick their family member in a facility and visit once in a blue moon and then complain about little things to the staff to make it look like they care.