Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some Rambling Thoughts

I haven't been writing much lately. I could cry "writer's block" but that wouldn't be true. Fact is my list of honey dos is quite impressive and I've been devoting a lot of my free time getting some outside stuff done in preparation for summer. Since I started blogging I've been ignoring a lot of those little odd jobs around the house. Since it is a cloudy, gloomy day I'm grabbing the chance to share some of my thoughts.

I've been impressed with the folks coming out in defense of Holly Stefanoff. I've come to the conclusion she is a bright star on the horizon. Since that dreadful report on our last council meeting I've seen three articles by her that were very well written. I've already mentioned the piece she did on Sgt. Carouthers and this past Sunday she had an introductory article on the ER's editorial page. The third article I'm alluding to is her report on our school board meeting the other night. After reading her report I had a feeling that I learned what went on at that meeting. I only had one question from that and it had nothing to do with Holly's work. All that being said I've come to the conclusion that Holly was having possibly a bad day last Tuesday, she was under pressure to put her report together in time to get it ready for Wednesday's paper and the editing at The Review sucks. Hang in there kid. Don't let s.o.b.s like me scare you away from your dreams. You do show some very promising talent. Just cover your back. It doesn't appear anyone at the paper is doing it for you.

In my own defense my reference to Dan's Bar was a question. For some time now that particular establishment has been regularly mentioned in the papers and it sounds like some of their patrons fall under the eccentric character category. I never mentioned anything about prostitution. That was "Tyrone Shoelaces". Let's see. When is the last time we heard from "Tyrone"? Oh yea, it was as a guest writer on ORL back last fall during the elections. I wonder who "Tyrone" really is and just what he is trying to do?

There was a breaking and entering at a village kwik shop mentioned yesterday in the MJ. Being an on-going case the WPD didn't have a lot to say. Then in the MJ's police reports in today's edition there was mentioned the EL police found a car at the Motor Lodge that the WPD was trying to find. Among other things they reported finding several rolls of coins in the room they checked. Could there be a connection? Will we ever learn? They towed the car back to the ville. Nice cooperation between the two departments. Lets see what develops.

Have you noticed that there is a paucity of editorials in the ER? It seems that all that is appearing in that area of the paper is a list of historical events in years past. Maybe it's just me.

I got a chuckle when I read that they have hired someone to replace Cassandra Bloor at Village Hall and would not name that person. Imagine that. Guess they don't want another outbreak like they did the last time they named a replacement for Kim Meek. Wonder who Cassandra's replacement is?

It's too bad our school board couldn't make do with local photography companies and keep the business either here in town or at least in the area. They contracted with a Canton outfit that offered the whole package that they were looking for. Wonder if the Canton company was the low bidder compared to the others combined? Do next year's seniors have to get their senior picture packages there?

I was sorry to see that science teacher Jim Fantone is going to retire. My kids loved him and I found out when that happened that teacher must be special. He is going to be missed. Another retired teacher that my kids loved was Peggy Lloyd. She's still special in my mind.

The question I mentioned above in Holly's report is about Thom Edgell being named a substitute teacher. Is this the same Mr. Edgell that was our Service Director?

They, the lawyers, are trying to get a bond reduction down to personal recognizance for Eric Dillard. They claim Mr. Dillard shot and killed Jamie Farley in self defense. So, that brings to question again whether there was another gun involved in that shooting. Even if there was the shooting occurred on the street and should have been a police matter. If Farley was shooting at the Dillard house Eric should have taken cover and called the police. It's illegal to play Rambo in the streets. Lawyers do what they have to do for the fees they collect. There was some additional facts pertaining to this case that came out in yesterday's papers. Apparently Mr. Farley had some personal demons with his aggressive behavior. There is nothing in court records yet to indicate a decision has been made on the bond. Perhaps the judge is going to wait and see what the Grand Jury decides.

Wouldn't it be nice if some organization that had the wherewithal to buy the stones that made up the Devore house and reconstruct it here in the village somewhere as a tourist attraction? Up there by Phyllis Thrasher's Park would be a nice place. There's so much history involved with that place it seems a shame to just let those stones lie there disintegrating in the weather. It would be costly but I can still dream. They did it with the London Bridge.

Now if the weather will just dry up long enough so I could finish my yard work. It would make the missus happy!

ole nib

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nib,
There will never be enough police officers to protect all of us individually from every threat... therefore, we must all to some extent, take responsibility for the safety and protection of our family and ourselves.

Not to take sides one way or the other...
but...you said "Even if there was (another gun) the shooting occurred on the street and should have been a police matter. If Farley was shooting at the Dillard house Eric should have taken cover and called the police. It's illegal to play Rambo in the streets."
That sounds good on paper and after the fact... I'd suggest that you call the police, and see how long it takes for an officer to arrive at your house...
If a really BAD guy wants to kill you with a gun (legal or otherwise) 2 or 3 minutes is a loooong time to be "taking cover" while you (and anyone else in your house) are being "shot at". Remember, bullets do not discriminate... they hit whatever or whoever is in their path, your wife, kids, mother, etc.
I have to take issue with your "Rambo in the street" comment... every citizen of the United States of America has a God given RIGHT to defend himself and his family if attacked and in fear of losing his life or suffering serious bodily injury, whether in his home, or in a public place.
"Waiting for the police" is not a rational response if doing so puts a person in jeopardy of serious bodily injury or death. Every citizen has an absolute right to defend himself and to use deadly force to do so.
With that said, we must remember that the actor will also have to JUSTIFY the use of that deadly force or suffer the legal consequences of using it when not justified in doing so.

Anonymous said...

Nib:
I am glad that people are taking it easier on Holly, as they should. She is a talented and delightful young girl who will be and asset and do a great job for Wellsville. You go Holly! The Review won't be abel to hold onto her when she gets her groove going.

Anonymous said...

Seniors are free to have their senior portraits done wherever they like. The contract between the school and the photograph company is for school pictures (except seniors) and for all the school dances.

Anonymous said...

Nib--
I think you're right about Holly. She'll be fine. Like you, I have noticed the editorial silence in The Review. It could be a "business" decision; a good op-ed piece usually steps on someone's toes.

************* said...

Matt - Sort of like blogging, huh?
I have noticed that the ER is very cautious to even slightly offending someone. Just compare naming names in police reports with other papers. Sure, you have to be discreet but I don't think their omission of names is just for that reason. I get the impression it is more a fear of having to defend themselves or losing customers. The print media is in a battle to survive. I'll probably take a beating for saying that but...

'nib

Anonymous said...

The only reason council did not name Cassandra Bloors replacement was because he had not yet been officially hired. Al Traina took the job. He will start soon.

Anonymous said...

Nib--
"I think you're right about Holly. She'll be fine. Like you, I have noticed the editorial silence in The Review. It could be a "business" decision; a good op-ed piece usually steps on someone's toes."

I've come to the conclusion that Matt is nothing more than a troublemaker. Perhaps there has been no new editorials because the NEW editor hasn't gotten around to writing one yet.
Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Anonymous said...

Yes, The Review is highly sensitive when it comes to offending readers and (especially) advertisers with local editorials. To a lesser extent, so is the MoJo. That's why you'll see plenty of editorials on national and state issues, but not many on local stuff. The newspapers don't mind kicking a local politician once he's down, but they rarely initiate anything. Thankfully, there are exceptions.

The blog format frees us from all those concerns. Because we aren't selling anything, we're free to say what we think. That's the beauty of it! They would never admit it, but it's a freedom the newspapers papers envy.

Anonymous said...

Matt:
Then you fit right in at the Review. I never saw anyone that liked to kick someone when they are down like you. I agree with "tired of norma rae", Matt is a trouble maker. For someone who has been around professors his "entire life", he shows an enormous bias on certain subjects while trying to look above the fray of things. Also, it is laughable when someone calls him out. He acts like a 2 year old. He is mean spirited and tears down people and communities. I thought he wasn't coming on this site anymore. What up Matt? I guess Matt is feeling a little safer in Wellsville, huh. Like anyone cares where he goes.

Anonymous said...

re: safe house...This is why we have an historical society isn't it? The real question is why did our historical society never show any interest in restoring one of the most historical sites in Wellsville? I assume that part of their mission is to preserve Wellsville history.

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, Nib, the newspaper nuts have followed me here! Sorry, my friend. I'll post under another name from now on so they don't take over your site with their paranoid lashings.

Anonymous said...

bobbyb:
The reason is no real leadership
at the Historical Society. In fact, you could just call it defunct and that would sum it up. They need some new and honest people to take over and breath new life back into that group.

Anonymous said...

"The blog format frees us from all those concerns. Because we aren't selling anything, we're free to say what we think"

Yeah, especially when what you spew are lies and half-truths, which is what you thrive on, Matt.
What you are saying about the MJ is an outright lie and you know it.
The paper has NEVER backed down from a fight for fear of an advertiser or politician. You are a liar.

Anonymous said...

Some newspapers use editorials, some don't. A lot of Ogden newspapers all over the country use the Ogden news service editorials,which is why you'll see the same ones in all three Columbiana County newspapers.
As for Matt, Mayor Surace is watching. You'd better go hide out on your own site a while.

Anonymous said...

"their paranoid lashings?" There he goes, acting like a two year old again. Disagree, and the name calling starts. Probably why he's not a reporter anymore.

************* said...

Matt - If you can take the heat don't worry about using another "handle" as they use to say on the CB radios. As you know some people just have to vent. Look at Norma's comment above as an example. Some folks hold grudges. It will all work out eventually.

ole nib

************* said...

Anonymous - Your response has been on my mind for a couple of days now. I can easily see your point about defending yourself and your loved ones. It's only natural. However there are laws in place for such things and they are on the books for a good reason. For instance, being convicted felons neither one of them were legal to own a gun. With today's background checks neither would have been approved for a license to carry or even own one. If neither of them had a gun there wouldn't be one man dead and another sitting in jail waiting to see what his fate will be. I can't and won't promote vigilanteism but I got the feeling you have some similar feelings with your last comment on having to justify their actions. I wasn't there but from what I've heard so far I can't justify what went down that night. I don't think you do either.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

"every citizen of the United States of America has a God given RIGHT to defend himself and his family if attacked and in fear of losing his life or suffering serious bodily injury, whether in his home, or in a public place."

Actually, I believe you are wrong about this. During a concealed carry permit class, an attorney said it is legal to defend YOURSELF against an aggressor IF you seriously consider you life is at risk. It is NOT OK to defend another person or your property by killing someone.
And even if you kill someone in SELF defense, as you said, you better be prepared and able to PROVE you thought your life was in REAL danger.
Nib, we have a Second Amendment right to bear arms. But I agree the two players in this drama most likely were not legally allowed to have them due to prior convictions.

Anonymous said...

Nib:
I doubt very much that Matt can take the heat. He is a dish it out but cant take it kind of guy. It is obvious though, he loves the attention, even if its bad. Yeah, some people do hold grudges over the crap that Matt has written about Wellsville. It probably wont change because he isnt going to change.

Anonymous said...

For someone to say I, of all people, can't take heat is laughable. I've never written or said anything about Wellsville that Wellsville folks don't say every day. But if you need to use me as your whipping post, go ahead. It never has and never will bother me in the least.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but boy you sure do get mad when someone gets a you tube video blocked, don't you?

Anonymous said...

Well, if it didn't, you wouldn't feed the need to respond. You are so predicatable. it is just like I said, you love attention, even if it is bad. Grow up will ya.
And thanks, we will keep using you as a whipping post, because you cant help yourself in responding.
What a joke! Keep on keepin on Matt, you're good entertainment. I'lm sure YOU will take that as a compliment not knowing any better, being a professor and all. Some people never learn.

Anonymous said...

I am, after all, the only one here who has the balls to identify himself. I wonder how tough you weasels would talk if people knew who you were. It's easy to insult people from behind a mask, isn't it? But feel free to keep doing it "really sick of matt" and "bahahahahah." It's funny how you cowards just can't keep from reading ORL.

Once again, laughable.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Nibs blog, not ORL. I realize you want readers to think that, but in at least my case, I wouldnt look at that rag since you said Wellsville was the laughing stock of the county. However, long ago that was. Don't worry, if it is ever safe enough for you and your bodyguards, and I see you in Wellsville, I will be glad to let you know who I am, to your face and then come on to Nibs and post all about it. Just following your lead. It is the kind of shit you do. So let it be done to you, what you do unto others.

Anonymous said...

Weasels? Cowards?

Naah, we just do it because it's funny and it gets you all upset. There's not much to do in town, so we just play around with you, and you bite the bait every single time.

And I don't see Nib using a name, either, so are you calling Nib a weasel and a coward? Are we going to have a Smackdown fight of the blog titans?

Anonymous said...

I for one do not read ORL, although I know that is what you would like readers to think. Since
you called Wellsville the laughing stock of the county, however long ago that was, it was the end for me. However, if it is ever deemed safe enough for you and your body
guards to appear in Wellsville, I would like nothing better than to see you in person, and really let you know how I feel. Then I could come on here and tell everyone about it. A page out of your own book. I am not a coward, I just am savoring the element of surprise. I'll run into you some day and I will make my presence known to you.

Anonymous said...

Once again we get to hear the Matt Sermon. It is always the same. he is great because he signs his name and you are crap because you use a screen name. If matt is such an advocate of using real names then why does he give people the option on his blog? He doesn't have to offer that option, many sites require an email address and name. He gives the option because he knows he won't get much traffic if he doesn't, but then he spends half his time crying about it. Yes, you sign your name to blogs matt, but that does not make you any less of a coward and a weasel, which you feel so free to call other people...and you know its true.