Friday, October 31, 2008

Drill Team




Pictured here is the newest addition to the floodwall murals. It's the renown Drill Team from the ville's American Legion Post 70. Back in the days following the Viet Nam conflict Post 70 had an award winning drill team that competed nationally. They were sharp as a whistle and their precision was impeccable. Those guys were good and put the ville on the map at those far away national conventions. They could make music with the taps on their combat boots. I always envied their discipline while they performed their routines when I saw them march in parades.




Once again Gina has done a tremendous job. If you ever saw that team perform you can just imagine the times you saw them in real life. I can still here those boots clicking and hear the slap of the rifles that sounded out.




ole nib








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib: Interesting, as this was before my time. One question....who, by name composed the team. And were they all from the local Post. Thanks

Anonymous said...

They were indeed a sight to behold and so is this mural!!!

My dad always said I could call cadence just as good as Jack!!!

************* said...

I'm not sure who all were members of the team. I think Jack Whittacer & Gary Dawson were two of them. Maybe some one can help us with the names of the others.

nib

Anonymous said...

i think maybe karen tice may be able to help with the names i believe her husband was involved in it

Anonymous said...

I think Kenny McCombs was another one along with Jerry Woodward, but I may be wrong. They were a sight to be seen, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Gary Dawson, Jack Whitaker, PK Welch, Dave Rife, Lee Tice, Richie Messer, Kenny McCombs, I believe Jim Iddings and I can't remember the other.
Yes, Karen (my mom) could tell you who they all were.