Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fountains On Riverside, Kiln On First Street...

...that's what was reported in The Review.

Although it hasn't been specifically mentioned I think I figured out the reason the village is forcing the St. Francis Animal people out of their building. It's all about liability and although the situation has many folks upset it is something that needed to be taken into consideration. God forbid that anything would happen but if it did it would put the village in a very precarious position.

So, apparently, now it's in a Catch 22 situation. Being an operation in a village owned building and the St. Francis folks being an all volunteer organization with no official ties to the administration amounts to risky business. Nobody is trying to force the St. Francis folks out of doing their thing. In fact I think it is very much appreciated by all. It's just something that needs to be taken care of so everyone is covered - just in case.

It has been reported that both sides are diligently trying to work out a compromise. I got to commend Councilmen Joe Soldano and Tony Cataldo for spearheading the village efforts to work out a solution. Both sides have valid issues to consider and I'm just sure with the cooperation between both sides something satisfactory to all will be worked out.

In other council news it was reported that the village is entering into a contract with a collection agency to help our village clerk collect back taxes. It's something that needs to be done to put some teeth into the collection efforts. It's bad news for the people that owe and a good move for the village coffers. This agency will not cost the village one cent. They add a fee to what is owed that those who owe will be responsible for. Another ordinance is being adopted to allow folks that owe fines to Wellsville the option of working them off under a community service program. We had this once before but got away from it. I think it was another issue of liability but they must have that worked out now. This years chip & seal program is about to begin. The fountains on Broadway, I think, are being inspected and readied to be turned on. Nunzi and his Fix-Up Clean-Up committee are going to get started with working on the kiln area at 3rd & Wells Avenue, I think, cleaned up. They are looking for anyone wishing to volunteer their services to help with this worthwhile project. If you got a few hours to spare check with Village Hall for times.

We have all suffered from the effects of the high cost of gas lately. The cost of fuel seems to cover the whole gamut on the cost of just about everything we spend money on. Nobody has mentioned what ill effects this is causing Wellsville's budget but you know it's not immune. Every day there is something in the papers touching on this subject. Here's an idea that our council members may want to consider. In yesterday's USA Today there was an article about Holly Springs, GA, adding a fuel surcharge of $12 to any traffic tickets issued. Holly Springs has a population of 7,700 and the surcharge is applied to any moving violations. It can be rescinded if the price of gas falls below $3 per gallon. Their mayor was quoted as saying "This is a self-taxing system. If you don't break the law, you don't pay the tax". Violators will only have themselves to blame. The folks down there expect the surcharge to bring in $19 - $26 thousand dollars a year and will be used to help with the town's cost of fuel.

Congratulations to the Port Authority and Tracy Drake for landing the NASA contract. Sometime in the near future they will be shipping parts manufactured in Cleveland for the space program. The parts are too big to be shipped all the way to Florida by truck. They will be trucked from Cleveland and loaded on barges here in the ville. Expect to see some strange looking loads moving down Route 11 & 7 shortly. Some parts are said to be 18 feet wide.

The Wellville Area Chamber of Commerce have joined in with the county C-of-C in getting a new web site up and running promoting the whole area. I think it is a pretty neat site. Check it out at http://www.columbianacountyareachambers.com/. It loaded with all kinds of infomation.

In case you missed it Gina Hampson and the Revitalization Committee are looking for pictures of the old Roadside Park that use to be on both sides of Route 45 where it meets Wells Avenue. Gina is getting ready to do a mural on it. To make it real she needs to get an idea of what it looked like before the new Route 7 was built. If you got any old snap shots to loan they would appreciate it. If you want to e-mail them to me at olenib@gmail.com I'll print them up and get them to her.

Now, I'm off to find those fountains on Riverside and that kiln on 1st St. With Joe's new street signs with bright orange letters it's hard to not know where you're at in town. I'll get pictures of them on here tomorrow if I find them.

ole nib

14 comments:

************* said...

NOTE: The "Wiz" is back. I was hoping to not hear from him again but, like an old rash, he keeps popping up once in awhile. True to nature, I felt, his comment was solely for controversial purposes to shed yet another of his black clouds over our fair village. Consequently I don't think I will ok it for being published.

His comment pertained to my remarks on village liability and he was calling me out on my thoughts on another possible liability issue concerning a certain individual and Wellsville officials. He seems to be saying "what is good for the goose is good for the gander" on his subject.

To some extent he has a valid point but his virulent tone just proves to me he is still a cad of the first order. He's been that way for sometime now. I'll start my own controversies - thank you.

I won't start a controversy over the good hearted nature of village officials and that certain individual. It's a situation that those village officials will have to deal with themselves. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I think it's a situation that requires tolerance and patience. Hopefully someday it will go away.

So, if the "Wiz" wants to continue spewing his venom at us he can do so on his own blog. Many of us have long suspected who is behind that pseudonym, huh? I don't think I will let him rain on our parade this time.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

You are protecting your friends at city hall. If you are afraid of controversy you are no better than the newspapers you constantly make fun of.

************* said...

That was a quick shot of venom Sherm.

Sticks and stones...

nib

Anonymous said...

We also want to let the readers know that Jim Saracco hired Nancy Murray for the vacant part time sewer clerk. He hired Al Traina first but he quit to take another job. Another stupid move Saracco, since when do you hire somebody who trys to take the Village to court. Gee, I wonder why Saracco did not report this hire to Village residents or to the press. Whats the matter no picture? What a joke he is.

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib, unfortunately you have no idea who Wiz is and would be quite shocked if you ever found out (eating crow comes to mind). If you created this blog to put out your thoughts and opinions then that is fine and your business, but if you created it to have local Wellsville people leave comments and discuss whatever you post then you should be fair and post their comments whether you agree with them or not. Some comments may need to be edited and some not posted for legal reasons, but just because you don't like someone or agree with what they say is no reason to leave the comment out. Think back to why you created this blog.

Anonymous said...

If the problem is liability, why doesn't SFAS buy the insurance?

************* said...

I'll be the first to admit that my suspicions as to the true identity of the "Wiz" could possibly be way off the mark. As a rule I generally let just about all comments to get published even from the "Wiz". Most of the ones I reject are ones with foul language, unsubstantiated wild rumors or just plain mean spiritedness. Not all but some really, really go against my nature. If you disagree with that then we'll have to agree to disagree. It has nothing to do with who I like or dislike. There are darn few people I dislike even if I don't agree with their line of thinking. That being said it won't be the first time I had to eat crow. I guard against putting my foot in my mouth but sometimes I suffer from brain flatulence and it winds up there.

Google will not allow you to edit any comments, even my own once they are sent in. The only options I have is to either accept, reject or delete. I can go back and edit a post but I can't touch other's comments and that's for good reasons as you can well imagine. Even if I'm tempted to it can't be done.

ole nib

Anonymous said...

Well Ole Nib you may, at your discretion of course, elect not to permit this comment thru either. However, since you have elected to silence me I will give you ample comments to reject. Anonymous got it correct when they said “if you created it to have local Wellsville people leave comments and discuss whatever you post then you should be fair and post their comments whether you agree with them or not“. Actually I don’t really care one way or the other, but, when you throw out MY comments that are true and you are aware they are true then maybe you are the one concerned with a libel suit. To refresh your memory at no time did I use or intend what you viewed as ….. “foul language, unsubstantiated wild rumors or just plain mean spiritedness“. However, having said the aforementioned I can only guess that your interpretation of my comments was that it was ….“just plain mean spiritedness“. Again I will repeat, at no time did my rejected comment contain anything but the truth. In my opinion, foul language should never be condoned as well as rumors that are not substantiated. However, trying to guess what is acceptable as being mean spiritedness or not is just your personal opinion and in my opinion should be left to your readers. Your readers as you are aware, if they don’t agree with a comment they have been known to let the writer know it. I might add each blog you write contains your personal opinion as to what the papers say or what they don’t say as well as your personal opinions. However, that does not say you are right or that you are wrong. You want your readers to decide that, right? In closing, I look forward to your next move.

Anonymous said...

Wiz:
Why don't you just run on along over to ORL where running down people and Wellsville is a common and accepted practice. Nobody here has missed you or care who you are, we just don't like you or your kind. We did however, like Wizzie Jane, but your negligence killed her. Rest in peace Wizzie Jane.

************* said...

From dictionary.com: blog: n - an on-line diary, a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a web page...

ole nib

Anonymous said...

Speak for yourself opinion. Just because someone doesn't go with the norm on this blog doesn't mean that others do not appreciate their input. Wiz is a very intelligent person with good perspective. While I may not allows agree with his opinion, I can appreciate his participation in debating issues that important to Wellsville. I don't always agree with Ole' Nib but I can appreciate his willingness to address and write about certain issues and allow others to voice their opinions about the topic at hand. Your identity says it all.

Anonymous said...

Ole Nib: Since I am a novice on blogging I found it intriguing that you would refer to the definition of what a Blogger is. So I went back to your reference (dictionary.com) and reviewed your finding of the definition of a blogger. This review prompted questions on my part.

(1) Can I assume with your "referenced definition" that your blog is your personal chronicle? I would guess that your answer to be yes. (2) If so, then I would have to ask if you expect/allow comments? Again, I would guess that you do. At this point I became confused regarding what is and what is not correct in the arena of blogs. Using the search engine on the same web site I entered “blogging comments”. Interestingly I found the following two (2) links……(10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog) and then to (up and downsides of comments on blogs here). Since reading the two links I was surprised to find there is flaming that is encountered in blog sites. If I might suggest, you may want to review this and include it in your parameters of what is or what is not permitted on your blog. Just thought I would share this information with your readers as I am sure you have been aware of all of this.

Opinion: Just so you know your opinions doesn’t affect me one way or the other. If you knew me you would realize what an a.. you are! I find it interesting you are commenting on a comment that was not even published. I guess you only speak to just hear yourself. Turn up the volume….you seem to missing the point.

Anonymous said...

wiz, you are living in dreamland if you think people don't know who you are. If opinion's comment did not bother you then why comment on it at all. As usual you are full of hot air and are so obsessed with trying to make people think you are intelligent that it makes you sound like a big old jack-ass. That being said, please accept my heart felt sympathy on the loss of Wizzie jane.

Anonymous said...

Wiz:
I didnt miss your point, I just dont give a shit what your point is. You just are not interesting to read no matter what you are saying. You are arrogant, snide and lots of other things I am sure you find to be a compliment. No one is taking you seriously, probably because they do know who you are. You are predictable which is boring in a way, but it makes it so easy to push your buttons. Hang it up.