Thursday, February 22, 2007

WTI

Once again WTI made the headlines in our local rag. This time it was for another permit modification. I found it interesting that the paper mentioned only five people were in attendance who chose to speak. My how times have changed. Guess Martin Sheen wasn't available. One lady said the Ohio EPA is putting the final nail in the coffin but Fred Miller didn't elaborate on what that nail was. Of course Mr. Spencer was there. God bless him. He has been there since the beginning and if nothing else is persistent. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing but respect for Mr. Spencer for standing up for his convictions. I believe his heart is in the right place.

I have mixed emotions about WTI. I can sympathize with the residents up that way in their opposition to WTI. Has the plant had any effect on property values up that way? Are there any green people with serious mutations in residence up there? True I'm being a bit sarcastic. However I believe WTI is a good thing. My mixed emotions stem from the fact that the folks in East End are driving themselves ragged over the fact that it is in their neighborhood. I believe that people that fret and harbor vengeful feelings are the prime candidates for getting ill.

For centuries we, as Americans, have buried our wastes in barrels or just underneath a mound of dirt. For decades now we, as tax payers, have had to pay to have those wastes to be dug up and disposed of properly. Look at the hullabaloo over the dirt someone dumped on the lot on 9th Street in Wellsville. Isn't it ironic that a fellow tried to turn the 9th St. Pottery into a place that burned the impurities out of contaminated soil? All up & down this valley are places that are contaminated from industrial wastes from our steel mills and potteries.

They say bleach will kill anything but fire will do it better and you don't have to worry about what is going to be done with the bleach afterward. With all the watch dogs you can bet WTI will be kept on their toes. They even have to have the slag tested before they ship it out. WTI has proven to be a good neighbor and I think they are doing a job that needed to be done for years. Yea, I can feel your pain up there but for the most part it has been proven to be safe and effective. I just wish they had located in Wellsville. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more boss. Good observations. I'm sure Wellsville would have LOVED to have had WTI locate there.

It's funny how time changes everything. From TIME magazine stories to quasi-celebrity arrests....to nothing. I knew back then it would eventually settle down.

The locals and out of towners that opposed WTI just seemed more interested in the press and the attention then their supposed cause.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. I look back at all the years pollution was tolerated in the Ohio Valley because it provided us with high paying jobs. I'm sure everyone remembers how everything in Midland was covered with red dust from the mill ; that would be my best example , but up and down the river some of the nations worse polluters still operate while the controversy over WTI , a company who as you noted , destroys hazardous waste in the safest manner possible , was treated as though it was another Love Canal in the making.

Anonymous said...

People would've protested and bitched and moaned no matter where that plant was located. Give them something to do. Christ, I know Alonzo Spencer from the whole ordeal, he's made himself somewhat a local celebrity from all his hooting and hollering!

I am glad Polar Minerals and Quality Liquid Feeds came in and did something with the old brickyard, I'd never dream there would be something productive down there again.

It sucks to think that Sterling China is probably going to end up being 9th Street all over again time about 20.