Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Couple of Thoughts

Reading yesterday's Review I saw an article about Sharon Gates closing Slammers. Lucille wrote in a positive note for the owner saying the decision was made for the good of the community. That may well be true. However, whatever the motive, it was a good business decision on Mrs. Gate's part. Unfortunately Slammers attracted the wrong kind of clientele and it was fast becoming a nuisance bar. We're fortunate that no one was killed with all the gun toting patrons. Booze & guns are a dangerous combination. In choosing to close the place down Mrs. Gates has enabled herself to hold on to her liquor license. Hopefully, she'll hit on a theme that will become a profitable business for her in the future without all the rabble that forced her into this move. Had she been bull headed and forced Wellsville's finest to get her license pulled she would probably never get it back. Lord knows we need the business in this village. One suggestion for Mrs. Gates: Why don't you have the old 356 building torn down? From what I can see it's become not much more than a pigeon's nest. With a little black top you could have a nice parking area for your patrons.

My second thought for today is the story about the fellow that flipped his SUV on Rt. 7, was taken to ELCH ER, life flighted to St. Es in Youngstown and released a short time later yesterday. What disturbs me is ELCH's trend in becoming a band-aide hospital. If you don't have one foot already in the grave and they can't patch you up with a band-aide it is increasingly their policy to "ship" you out. For many of us with limited health insurance that is a big expense insurance won't cover. You're stuck with the bill for the cost of transportation. Why has ELCH doing this more & more? Is it liability insurance rates? Could it be the lack of medical expertise? Is it because they want to get their money's worth for the new helipad? They don't want to be bothered? This bothers me. The hospital is becoming a referral center.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to speak for East Liverpool City Hospital, but I think what you see as a negative thing might, in fact, be a good thing. Keeping a first-rate trauma staff on duty 24 hours a day is impractical and prohibitively expensive for small hospitals. Helicopter access to major medical centers like UPMC gives local people access to advanced trauma care, much better than could ever be delivered at smaller facilities.

I'm sure getting life flighted is expensive, but they don't do it unless you're in danger of dying--at least they shouldn't. At that point, the expense doesn't matter to most people.

Good luck on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Nib , or Mr. Nib , Did you hear anything about shots fired near 15th Street and Commerce within the last week ? #1buckeyegirl was inquiring on OVL and I would be interested in knowing myself.

************* said...

You can call me Ole, you can call me Nib but you doesn't need to call me Mr. Remember Father whoever on SNL?

No I haven't heard anything about a shooting around 15th & Commerce. I'll see what I can find out & get back on it later.

Of course there hasn't been anything in the papers about it either. Doesn't surprise me. Some people in our fair village like to sweep negative publicity under the rug.

Anonymous said...

hahaha ok ! I do remember a comedian with a line like that , but I was thinking it was "you can call me ( whatever his name was and different variations) but you don't have to call me Sir" , and that is was on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. And then again , maybe both shows had a similar skit. I miss both the old SNL and Tonight Show.

************* said...

Well, I've checked with my sources and no one has heard anything about a shooting at 15th & Commmerce. Nothing has been in the papers and something like that would surely make the papers. at least one of them. I'm beginning to get the feeling that this is a product of the old rumor mill.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nib. Better it's a product of the rumor mill than it actually happened. I believe #1buckeye lives in Columbus and was concerned as her parents live in that neighborhood.

Password said...

I wouldn't discount the gunshots as being rumor simply because it wasn't in the papers. I heard gunshots one day a couple of months ago here in Wellsville, and it didn't make the papers. It may just be that they couldn't find who did it. If they don't find the guilty party, they can't be POSITIVE that it happened, I guess. They could still be persuing it.

Anonymous said...

It was on the scanner when the local gendarmes dispatched an injured deer up on 7. It took more than one shot (perhaps they didn’t want to get too close). These are quite possibly the shots heard..

#1Buckeye said...

The shots that my parents heard happened on 2 occasions, once last Tuesday night and I believe the Saturday or two Saturdays before that. The ones that were fired Saturday did come across the scanner because someone that knows my parents called them to see if they were home when they heard where they were fired. My mom was home and said that she had heard them, but was not sure where exactly it came from. The ones Tuesday night woke my parents from a dead sleep and my dad said he saw the cops outside looking around, but never heard that they found anything. Other than that I have not heard anything else.