Monday, July 28, 2008

Ohio EPA Permit Issued To Ohio River Clean Fuels

Got a letter from Caroline Markworth today. She's the lady with the Ohio EPA that has conducted the last couple of public hearings on Baard's permit applications down at the high school. The letter is a "Citizen Advisory" and so, I thought I would share it with you.

The letter is advising us that the Ohio EPA has issued a water quality certification to Ohio River Clean Fuels, LLC. This is the first of three permits applied for by Baard for the proposed coal-to-liquid-fuel plant. Details can be found on the OEPA web site.

The OEPA is continuing to work on the draft wastewater discharge permit which they held a hearing for May 27 at the high school. The permit for air emissions is still under review and a public hearing for that application has not yet been scheduled.

The only comment addressed by the OEPA on the water quality permit hearing from this past April was the objection of some coal mining methods. As stated on here previously their answer to that was that mining companies are regulated separately. They have to apply for their own separate EPA permits. That issue is not part of Baard's proposal.

Baard hasn't been much in the news since that last public hearing in May. There was a letter to the editor in the MJ by an EL KSU professor and a fellow by the name of Ron Springer has been quoted speaking up at the last Port Authority meeting and again at a County Commisioners meeting. Never having heard of either of those folks I Googled both.

Seems Dr. Burns is primarily a biology teacher and the KSU site stated her main study interest concerns round worms. In her letter she made a plea that the locals - meaning you & me - insist that public health be given "priority over promised jobs and economic nirvanna". I read the letter and Matt Stewart advises us that "she is a credible scientist whose opinions should be taken seriously". Matt also told us on ORL that Dr. Burns told him she got her concerns from reading Baard's EPA applications. I won't question her credibility but when I read the letter I got the impression that her thoughts expressed in that letter was more from the heart than scientific research. I didn't save the letter but I do not recall any research studies being quoted. Maybe she was dummying it down so we "locals" could understand what she was saying. She also failed to mention any of the innovative technologies that is incorporated into Baard's plans.

Now Mr. Springer is a different story. If he is the same Ron Springer that is a retired steam fitter that showed up in my research I would have to question his credibility. I don't begrudge him for his concerns. It is everyone's right to speak up at public meetings to express their concerns. If he is the same elderly gentleman that Google found he seems to concern himself with things that he considers the EPA should be looking into. If he is the same guy he is on record speaking up at the Commissioner's meeting twice before on possible pollution problems.

At the Port Authority meeting he was quoted as saying "the EPA does not stop pollution" and with that I have to disagree. Every manufacturing plant in this country is regulated by the EPA. I don't care what type it is. Each and everyone of them must adhere to EPA standards that are in place to protect the health and well being of all whether it's plant, animal or human. If someone is caught not being compliant then the EPA has the power and authority to shut them down and stop all operations right now. Baard will be no different and will be strictly regulated from the first shovel of dirt moved to full time operation. Believe me they will be closely watched and they are well aware of that. From all that's been written about them I don't think the scrutiny will be a problem for them.

What concerns me more at the present time is the business end of it. Long time Sierra Club member Nachy Kanfer commented on ORL that "coal prices have doubled since June 2007". That was confirmed by a headline article in yesterday's Post-Gazette. The story was about how the price of coal is going to force electric rates up. What caught my attention was that the price of coal was $138/ton last week. A year ago it was $55/ton and today's cost is four times what it was in the year 2000.

Let's hope that the price of coal will not prevent making it a cost effective venture for the good folks at Baard. The price of oil is dropping. Maybe coal will follow suit. The thought of losing this ray of hope would be devastating not only to the region's economic outlook but to the very spirit of hope for all of us. A lot of people from the nation's capitol, Columbus, the county and locally have put a lot of effort into making this proposal a reality. That's not even mentioning what Baard has put on the line so far. I hope my worries are just silly nervousness.

ole nib

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cell Phones & Brain Cancer

Here's something that the cell phone companies are probably hoping you don't take seriously. In an article in yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (PPG) it was reported that Dr. Ronald Herberman, Director of Pitt's Cancer Institute and UPMC Cancer Centers, will be issuing an alert on the risks of cell phone usage and brain cancer. The University of Pittsburgh and UMPC are one of the leading research facilities in the world on the causes, treatment and cures of cancer.

Although the evidence is still controversial and some argue there is not conclusive proof linking cell phone usage and brain cancer Dr. Herberman is convinced that using caution with the devices could be prudent. Researchers from 13 European countries in a study group known as the Interphone Study and similar studies in Sweden have found cause for concern linking cell phone use and brain tumors. The culprit is electromagnetic radiation emitted by cell phones. Any study in cause and effect takes time, sometime years to gather conclusive proof. It hasn't been too long since the increasing popularity and affordability of cell phones have been around. It will be awhile before enough scientific evidence can be collected to make a definite link with cell phones causing brain cancer.

In the meantime the good folks at Pitt have issued a list of cautions that cell phone users can take just in case: 1) Do not let children to use cell phones. Their developing organs are likely sensitive to any possible exposure. 2) When using a cell phone try to hold it away from the body as far as possible. The strength of electromagnetic radiation weakens with distance. 3) Try not to use cell phones in crowded places to avoid exposing others to that radiation. 4) Try to avoid carrying your cell phone on you especially if you're pregnant. 5) If you must carry your cell phone on you position it so the key pad is facing your body and the radiation emits away from you. 6) Try to limit your time on the phone thus reducing your exposure. 7) Change sides frequently when you are on the phone. 8) Try not to use the phone where there is a weak signal or in fast moving vehicles such as airplanes. cars or trains. Cell phones us max power switching from one relay antenna to another as you travel along. 9) When possible use text messaging, speakers or Blue Tooth type devices. & 10) Pick a device with the lowest Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) available. SAR ratings differ with manufactures and can be found on-line for the different phones.

Maybe 10 years down the road this may be all for naught but if someone with the credentials of Dr. Herberman finds cause for concern it may be worth paying heed. What do they say - an ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure?

Along with this article the PPG is conducting an on-line poll. Out of over 1,100 of those responding as of this afternoon 39% said they wouldn't change their cell phone usage, 24% said they would be more careful, 14% said they would reduce their usage and 13% said they would use more hands free devices. Interesting to note only 1% said they don't have a cell phone.

My how times they have changed. Can you hear me now?

ole nib

Suggestion


Here's a suggestion to Wellsville's BOE for what to do with the playground equipment at the old MacDonald School building.


In the ER's "Area Briefs" column a couple of days ago it was reported that MacDonald has been sold and that the playground equipment will be kept until the board can find a new place for it. They don't need it at Garfield. They already got some at that school. There's no room for it at the Middle School and I doubt if high school kids would get much use out of it.


A few months ago the village acquired a piece of land on Wells Avenue and had the house demolished. It was reported at the time that they intended to make a mini-park on that piece of land.


Why not donate that playground equipment to the village for that little park? It would fit nicely on that piece of land. It's colorful and would help the village look a little progressive at that end of town. It certainly would brighten up that lot and I'm sure it would get some good use.


It would be a sin to put that equipment in storage when it could be put to good use elsewhere. I'm not sure but there would probably be a tax write-off for the school district and it would save the village the expense of buying stuff for that piece of real estate. I'm sure there are some young 'uns that would love to play on it. You got the jungle gym, benches and even a trash container. Personally I think it's a great idea. It would be a great token of cooperation between two entities that we tax payers support.


Think about it folks. Scratch that. Do it now while we have the labor to move and get it installed up there. The kids would love it...


ole nib


Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Morehead Trial Continued

According to court records there was a telephone conference held today and it was decided to allow a continuance for CC Health Commissioner Robert Morehead's jury trial. The trial was originally scheduled for August 12 but Morehead's attorney requested a continuance at his status hearing earlier this month.

This case is now scheduled for another Status Conference to be held November 12 and the Jury Trial will be held December 9 starting at 9 A.M. I'm sure tomorrow morning's newspapers will rehash all the details.

ole nib

Sunrise Over The Ville


It is kind of blurry but the coloring caught my attention this morning on my way to get the papers. This was taken near 4th & Riverside. While it was sprinkling a few rain drops the morning sun was trying to peak through the clouds off to the east. I was trying to hurry so my camera & I didn't get too wet. With the gully washer we had last evening I was leary what those few rain drops would turn into.


My apologies for the quality of the picture...


ole nib


Sunday, July 20, 2008

Approval Rating

Let's do an approval rating survey like they do for national politicians such as President Bush. Surace is nearly seven months into his second term of office. Last November there was all kinds of optimistic talk about what to look forward to in our fair village. There was also doom & gloom talk when Dave Lloyd narrowly lost to the incumbent mayor. Let's see how you're feeling about how the mayor's doing so far.

The rules are simple. This just applies to the mayor. Keep it clean. I won't allow any profanity or just outright hateful blasts against the man. I'm looking for a yea or nea vote and some logical comments on what you think is wrong with the administration and what can be done to improve things. Comments would also be appreciated on what you think you would like to see done with the funds available in the village coffers. Also, to be fair, I would like to hear opinions for the positive side. In other words let's hear about what you like or dislike.

I'll run the survey for one week or until Saturday evening before I make any additional comments. Comments that I find acceptable will be approved for publishing as we go along. After Saturday evening I'll reject any additional comments.

Ok, that being said, let's hear it...

ole nib

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hollow Rock


Yesterday started off the annual interdenominal religious camp meeting down at Hollow Rock in Jefferson County. A report in yesterday's ER noted this is the 190th year for that event. That takes it back to 1818 when it got started. The Hollow Rock camp ground sits on 25 acres and is located on Jefferson Cnty. Route 51 just south of the ville.


I don't know much about Jefferson County history but I do know it predates Columbiana. In fact Columbiana County was once part of Jefferson in the early days. It's just amazing to me that the camp meetings have been going on for nearly 200 years in the same place.


Hollow Rock Camp is a unique place with its pastoral setting nestled in the hillside. For fifty weeks a year it sits mostly abandoned. I've only been there once. A high school buddy had a grandmother that was a regular attendee at the meetings. I helped him take a truckload of house keeping items down one summer for Grandma. She had dibs on the same cabin every year. The cabins or cottages sit so close together there isn't room to open doors on both sides of a pick-up truck. Moving days are the only days one was allowed to drive through there.


Above is a picture of a postcard that was post marked 2-22-1911 advertising the 1911 meetings. Although it's been over 40 years since I was down there it looked pretty much the same then as it does in this post card. Just think if those cabins could talk!


God bless...


ole nib