Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wellsville Historical Society March '09 Meeting


Last night's regular monthly meeting was packed full of historical information and tidbits of Wellsville history. For me it was another learning experience of things as they were in the early years of the ville.


Seems brochures are on the mind of a lot of folks these days. It was announced that the Society is in the process of updating their brochure with directional information, points of interest and such. The new brochures will be distributed to various places where people can pick them up and learn of the museum's existence and is designed to pique interest in paying a visit. They are also in the process of refurbishing the directional signs at both ends of town that guide visitors to the museum.


It was also announced that roof slate they have accumulated in the basement will be donated to a Jefferson County group that is refurbishing a historic one room school house down that way. That will be something to see when it's completed. I had an aunt that was a school teacher for nearly fifty years until she retired in 1971. I recall her telling me she started out teaching in such a place. I think she told me they paid her something like $20/month for teaching a room full of kids from the first to eighth grade. It's amazing to see how our educational system has evolved over the years.


Society President Robert "Brassy" Beresford related to the members about doing some research for a Prof. Green of Miami University in Oxford, OH. Prof. Green's interest is in river boats and Brassy compiled a list of boats for him that were built in Wellsville. Nobody counted how many there were but the list was quite lengthy. Back in the early years before railroads were around here boat building was a booming business in town. Remember the ville started out as a very busy transportation hub transferring goods that were shipped in on the river to horse drawn drays for shipment to places all over the region.


Brassy read an amusing story from an ELO newspaper called The Daily Crisis that was dated Sept. 16, 1889. The story was about a police raid on "Big Liz's" house of ill repute that was located on Coal Street here in the ville. Apparently Big Liz had a thriving business going on and the article went on to naming names of the customers that were apprehended as they tried to flee out the back door. Unfortunately there were officers waiting outside the back door while another group went in the front door. Whoops! The reporter went on to tell us most of the offenders were fined $25 each and there was quite a bit of trouble in their various homes. Wonder whatever happened to Big Liz?


Donations this month included a paper written on Wellsville schools from 1880 to 1980 researched and writtened by the late Joey McCutcheon. Mrs. McCutheon was a long time teacher in the ville. Brassy sent out thanks to Joey's husband, Dr. Wm. McCutheon, for donating the paper and a couple of books. One of the books was entitled The Enchanted Village of Fredrickstown which Brassy said is loaded with historical facts. The history of Wellsville schools is one of the subjects for a program in the forth coming months.


Brassy also sent out thanks to Dick & "Boots" Vaness for their donation of two tin lunch boxes that brought back memories for me. I remember using those things back in the day. I remember the thermos bottles didn't last too long with my not too gentle handling of the lunch boxes. Pictured above is Brassy holding up the two. You can click on the picture to enlarge it. One box is Superman with his associates at The Daily Planet. Superman who was Clark Kent in everyday life is shown with reporter Lois Lane, photographer Jimmy Olsen and their editor. Anybody remember what his name was? I don't. The other box is Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs. I've been thinking about this since last night but can only think of about three names for the dwarfs.


Welcomed as a new member was Dr. Herschel Ruben from ELO. Doc is actually a renewed member after being absent for a few years. He's the same fellow that set me up with my first eye glasses more years ago than I want to admit.


Last night's program was a history of Wellsville floods from 1832 up to 1991 presented by Bob Lloyd. Bob did a Power Point presentation with lots of pictures. It's an excellent collection of photos accumulated not only showing the high waters from the various floods but showing also a lot of structures that are long gone. We'll have more on that later. Bob graciously said he would copy the pictures to a disc for me. That way we'll be able to put some of them on here for you all to see.


Next meeting is April 21. Try to join us.


ole nib

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that post Nib. I really need to find time to get to one of those meetings. I love that stuff. I was told that the house I live in was originally a one room school house. I've never investigated it, but you can see under the siding that it had the classic 6 large windows (3 on each side). Someone extended the building so it's longer than original. I was told that it was called The Crabtree School or something to that effect. There were several crab apple trees when I moved here. If that's the case, it may have been the school before Fairview was built.

Anonymous said...

The editor's name was Perry White!
In addition to many other names I've been called over the years, "Lois Lane" is one of them!
My dad used to call me "Geraldo," which he pronounced like "Jer-all-do."
Wish I could have made the historic society meeting but other news called me away that night!

************* said...

Hootch - I know how you feel. With working a job and having a family with young ones it's hard to find the time. Believe me - been there, done that. I'll tell you this though. If you can possibly squeeze a Tuesday evening in your schedule once a month you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Jobob. All I could think of is Lou Grant but knew that was a different program. When I read you response it was like a light bulb went off in the back of my cranium.

nib

Anonymous said...

Nib --

In no particular order, the seven dwarfs are Doc, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Grumpy, Happy and Sleepy (wish that were me right now!).

Again, thanks for the great write-ups! I truly enjoy keeping up with happenings in the 'Ville.

Anonymous said...

Lou Grant was on the Mary Tyler Moore Show and was the editor.